Thread: What tranny fluid are 2nd gens using?

Default What tranny fluid are 2nd gens using?

Popped in on the Honda board and there was a flurry of concern with the Redline synthetic tranny fluid. Lots of broken stuff.

What are 2nd gen RX-7 racers using? Our 4 car team has gone through 3 trannies in 18 months. Yes, they are a week point but I see no reason we should be breaking gears, shafts, etc.

Thanks,

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Andy,
    The tranny used in the 2gen NA's is essentially the same as those used in the first gens. Mazda considered them at the limit with 160hp at the FW. They used a beefier tranny with the turbo cars that had a 200hp FW rating.
    When you consider that your team's cars are probably pushing 200+ at the FW,running 4.88 rearends,and pushing in excess of 7000rpms most of the time, the stock box is likely to break!
    A rebuilt/blueprinted tranny with a trued and balanced(for high rpm) driveshaft may be the best you can do. A good synthetic oil( Redline MTL in my book) will offer the best lubrication, lowest temps,and the least frictional loss, but the mechanicals have to be spot on!
    Good luck,hope to see you guys in June
    B

I have been using Redline MT-90 for many years. I have only been racing just over a year's worth, and I am hard on the gearbox. I have yet to have a failure, but the way I shift I can expect to replace the tranny soon.

I have heard good things about Royal Purple gear lube, but have not used it myself.

Any failure I have ever dealt with (even on third gens) was syncro failures due to missed shifts.

------------------
    Paul D'Angelo
    73 ITS CENDIV
    Indy Region
    www.iridiumracing.com

Ok I am just a newbie, but I ran redline MTL for three track events. What I noticed was that only when it was pretty warm outside, and after getting the car pretty hot (near the end of the session), I got 3rd gear grind every now and then. I think I am going to try Redline MT-90 next time out. I never had a problem when it was fairly cold out.

-Jack