Thread: Need 2nd Gen Clutch Recommendations

Default Need 2nd Gen Clutch Recommendations

I acquired an '86 ITS 2nd Gen that didn't have a clutch. Not having any track experience I have no idea if I need more than a stock clutch. So do I go to NAPA/AutoZone, or do I need something better?

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX7
    CenDiv WMR

Try this, racingbeat.com. Get the race clutch and disc now instead of buying stock stuff now then buying race stuff later. Buy and install once.

------------------
    Ray Lee Chee
    [email protected]
    Stamford,Ct

I agree with the above. I have been running Street/Strip clutches and pressure plates in my car since I got it (`96). Never a problem on the street or while racing.

Paul D'Angelo
    `91 RX-7 Coupe 73 ITS Cendiv
    www.iridiumracing.com

Solid hub 4-puck. Does Mazdaspeed sell them? Got mine from Mazdatrix (Racing Beat part).

Chris

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

I use the solid center, 4 puck Racing Beat on my 1st gen. 2 seasons, no problems, looks almost new.

Originally posted by C. Ludwig:
    Solid hub 4-puck. Does Mazdaspeed sell them? Got mine from Mazdatrix (Racing Beat part).

Chris

Here's the MazdaSpeed choices:
    Notes: 224mm 4-PUCK Copper Ceramic disc, 4P224E, holds approximately 28 percent more torque than an organic lining. Lightweight, solid hub design is meant for quick shifting. Should be used with a performance pressure plate. Harsh engagement. Should not be used for street driven vehicle.

Notes: 225mm ACT Pressure plate, MZ-013, has 34 percent more clamping force than stock unit. Rated at 268 ft-lbs. of torque with stock disc or ACT "Street" Disc 0000-02-3444-AC or 343 ft-lbs. with 4-puck copper ceramic disc.

Notes: 225mm ACT Xtreme Pressure plate, MZ-013X has 75 percent more clamping force than stock unit. Rated at 350 ft-lbs. of torque with stock disc or ACT "Street" Disc 0000-02-3444-AC or 448 ft-lbs. with 4-puck copper ceramic disc.

MazdaSpeed prices look roughly equivalent to RacingBeat.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX7
    CenDiv WMR

And how do I hold the flywheel while I tighten the nut to 300 ft lbs? Do I have to buy the $90 MazdaSpeed special tool? Autozone was no help.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX7
    CenDiv WMR

Originally posted by Eagle7:
    And how do I hold the flywheel while I tighten the nut to 300 ft lbs? Do I have to buy the $90 MazdaSpeed special tool? Autozone was no help.
    Take a piece of 1" x 2" steel tubing at least 3' long. Drill 2, properly spaced and sized holes in it so that you can use 2 clutch bolts to fasten it to the flywheel. You'll need to drill 2 small holes (for the bolts) all the way through the tubing. Now enlarge 2 of the holes (one wall only) to allow a socket to access bolt heads.

Fasten the bar to the flywheel allowing access to the flywheel nut. Rotate the bar so that it is securely up against an immovable object and have at it.

Or you can just use an Impact gun rated at similar torque. Use a gun rated at 425, set it at 4 instead of five (max). Torque away. I used to use the bar method and then stood on a breaker bar with pipe 19" from the center (200lbs with moment arm of 19" =about 325ft/lbs). Impact gun is a lot easier.

Pauly D

[This message has been edited by paulydee (edited January 22, 2003).]

Thanks for all the responses. Big help.

Just to give some closure here, I went with Mazdatrix:
    4 puck solid center disk
    Street/strip pressure plate
    Pilot, throwout, etc.
    Flywheel stop tool ($22)
    Flywheel nut wrench ($36)

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX7
    CenDiv WMR

Big, dirty impacts own the rotary flywheel nut. I don't even consider doing a clutch job without mine.

Chris

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv