Originally posted by lateapex911:

Bill-

What are your thoughts on Paul. I can see he's a very bright guy, but I get the impression that the "charm" of carb modding may have worn off. Rumour mill has it that his "customer care" is lacking. It could be that he doesn't tolerate fools easily, or that he indeed sucks when it comes to taking care of customers. He is certainly a "botique" shop at best!

So, did you get the carb back with good information in a realistic time frame?

Did the carb run well? No stumbling in left handers? Good even power or peaky power?
Was it fussy (aka sensitive) to get right, but ran like a bear when you get it right?

Bottom line, would you recommend him at this point in time?

I would recommend Paul to anyone. Paul is NOT Paul Yaw, INC., and 200 - 400 person company pumping out carbs for thousands of people world wide. But then again, there isn't anyone that is pumping out race prep legal carbs by the thousands for our 20 year old car.

I met Paul at the run-offs in Mid-Ohio this past year, and he has a full time job, above and beyond the "build em 5 at a time" carb shop in his basement.

You get what you pay for. An honest to god working carb that will need almost no adjustments other then the standard barometric jetting. If there is an issue when you get it, call him and he'll make it right or talk you through some setups.

His website is there at no charge to walk you through most of what you need to know. If you can read, you can find what you need there.

If you catch him on the phone, you can ask him almost anything and he'll tell you what he knows at "no charge." Customer or not.

So, in answer to your question...I would highly recommend him.

He is never condescending, and he fills a very important void for all of us in the Mazda 1st Gen race community.

I would hate to think of racing without him, as I am sure many who deal with him would agree.

You get what you pay for. If you wanted to pony up the dollars for telephone support, I am sure he would work something out. But when your complaining about a free service, you get what you pay for.

I for one hope he never throws his hands in the air and walks away from us. He must truley love it to put up with all of the phone calls.

Frank Ball

------------------
Balz
#67 IT-7
www.balz.myip.org
"I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"