Andy

DO NOT cut corners on this item. I have seen two cars destroyed because the welds broke on the steering shaft and the wheel came off at the wrong place.(one was at the bottom of turn 12 at Road Atlanta!)

Having said that, IMO the hex type with the pull collar for release is the most user friendly. I have had mine for 6 years and have had zero problems. No slop. None. No pins to push. No splines to line up. I have driven many a car with all different types of quick release wheels. That is what I base my opinion on.

Now, the way I attached it might be somewhat excessive but at the time my friend Rob Debardelaben(remember him?)insisted on letting him machine a short piece of stainless pipe that actually threaded onto the steering shaft. I then welded it. Then he machined the ID of the hex mount to fit over the pipe. Welded it, front and back. Then he machined a spacer that bolted to the quick release flange that I bolted the wheel to.

Take the time and do it right. After all, dont you have all kinds of time on your hands now that's it winter up there.:-)

------------------
Marc Dana
#63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
#77 STS BMW 325I