Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: black boxes and wires everywhere

I see you point on my comment but...I refer you back to the bible...

What does the GCR say about the addition of weight????

If I so desired...I could have added upto 100lbs of lead (or other material) in the same place the wiring harness is sitting...

SO...not competitive advantage gained...

And...technically, no... I have not been protested but I have run in two events where the cars in the top 5 went through a post race tech...

No problems either time.

I figured this thread was going to open up a can of worms...

BTW...Never did hear back on where you have your mirrors.

------------------
    Balz
    #67 IT-7
    www.balz.myip.org
    "I live my life one Apex (seal) at a time"

Ya know...this is probably one of those items we should move to the Regs section of the forum...We are killing poor Frank's post.

And Frank....A lot of what you are seeing her is opinion...my posts included. Read the GCR (ITCS section) and just be able to support everything you do to your car.

If you go look in the tech section of the forum you will see some pretty heated (in good heart and fashion as this one has been in by all parties) regarding wiring.

I am not a huge subscriber to the "if it doesn't say you can do it then you can't" club. But that is not to say that I am a fan of breaking the rules either...

It should be a level playing field and slack in one end, even minor, could lead to major slack on the other end, being major from a rules standpoint.

If you cheat, you will and should get caught.

But there is also a large amount of nit-picking that goes on around the rules that I (opinion) think is wasteful. You will learn this as you get your car ready...

If you kick the crap out of someone on the track and your car is legal and the best that they can come up with is that you have rain-X on your windshield and the GCR didn't say you could...well then that gives you some insight on your competition.

There are a few good posts out in the tech section you should referrence...

Air in the tires (doesn't tell you how to, how much, or if you can fill them at all...so is the air in your tires legal?) Of course it is...

Wiring of your Tach, Fuel Pressure Guage, EGT, Air/Fuel Ratio, etc, etc...The GCR says you can mount them but it doesn't specifically say you can wire them. SO...if you do wire them are you illegal? I would think not (but that is my opinion)

Is the addition or modification of the wiring harness allowed? It would have to be to allow you to run an MSD ignition...because your car didn't come with one and you have to add/modify your existing wiring harness to make it fit. But...THE GCR doesn't say that you can. IN this case it is just added balast (not in the appropriate part of the car) and is in-fact illegal. (as Col. Potter would say...Horse Hockey).

Just more food for thought.

------------------
    Balz
    #67 IT-7
    www.balz.myip.org

Originally posted by balz:
    If I so desired...I could have added upto 100lbs of lead (or other material) in the same place the wiring harness is sitting...

SO...not competitive advantage gained...
    Balz,

Before I refute your argument I will say that the advantage gained is MINISCULE, but it is there.

Yes you could have placed upto 100# of weight there, but you didn't. Therefore you have repositioned weight in your car without adding any additional weight.

Absolutely no big deal in the overall handling picture by adding 3# of wiring down there. I wouldn't protest somebody for doing such a thing. But that's me. I would have to feel that whatever infraction someone has, in my opinion, committed was the only reason I got beat. Again, that's me. Everyone else can protest whoever they wish, for whatever reason they wish.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited September 29, 2002).]

Every production-based race car that I have ever driven had OEM mirrors. Two of them had electric mirrors, which were handy in enduros...

K

Edit - Sorry. I meant to add that the whole point of conversations like this is to get people thinking about the things we do and communicating about them. Both of these activities clarify our individual and collective understanding of things, which can't be a bad thing. Don't panic, Frank! We are generally harmless...

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited September 29, 2002).]

Well said Kurt!

Frank, welcome to the club!

------------------
    Balz
    #67 IT-7
    www.balz.myip.org

Thanks everyone for the posts. I now have a copy of the GCR. I currently race go karts, and I use the philosophy that "if it's not stated, it's legal." I guess it's time to rethink my position.

Thanks again
    Frank Mosely

Originally posted by balz:
    Your quote on the HARNESS is not correct.

YOUR QUOTE>>>>Again, this is not allowed as the rule, even as liberal as it is pertaining to ECUs, states that the """""wiring harness"""" for the computer must remain unaltered.<<<<<

GCR
    D.1.a.6
    Fuel-injected cars may alter fuel mixture through the modification of resistance values of the sensors which feed the computer. The """""COMPUTER"""" shall remain unaltered.....
    balz,

Further clarification to my point about the harness can be found in the Feb. 02 Fastrack. You won't find it in the GCR, it's an addendum.

2. Section 17.1.4.D.4.6, p.8, change section to read as follows: "Fuel injected cars may alter or replace the engine management computer, or ECU, provided that all modifications are done within the original OEM ECU housing. Only the stock (unmodified) OEM ECU connection to the wiring harness may be used. The allowance to modify the ECU in mo way permits the addition of wiring, sensors, or piggybacked computers outside of the OEM ECU housing. The stock (unmodified) wiring harness must be used.

*** Bold print is mine.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Its like the bible and christianity...the book has been written for years, but we still have many religions that have sprung up and disagreed about several items in principal. Who's right? Who knows <GRIN>.</font>
    Like the GCR, the Bible takes continuous study to accurately discern what it is that God is trying to convey to us. It is one of the keys to saving faith. A Christian needs to be able to properly assess what is being stated in the Bible and apply the lesson to his/her life. It is a never-ending struggle in our society to keep ourselves in the Will of God.

That struggle exists when dealing with the GCR as well. A proper study and understanding of the rules is necessary to discern which modifications are clearly within the rules, which ones push close to the edge, and which ones take you over into the Dark Side. Be sure to keep all of your copies of Fastrack, too.

[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing
    ITS Mazda RX7 #35
    [email protected]

ARRRRGHH...I hate loosing a fight...Well, not really <GRIN>.

Frank..Chris has me there...I must admit that I read Fastrack but I only focus on those items that relate to my exact class (IT-7) IT-A. If if had to do with fuel injection or a computer (my car is computer dumb) I am sure I skipped over it.

I bow...you got me on that one <grin>.

>>>>>>>RULES NERDS....I AM NOT WORTHY...GRIN

Frank

------------------
    Balz
    #67 IT-7
    www.balz.myip.org

hey guys what about the objects allowed to be removed, ac, sunroof, auto adj,etc can the wires be cut back or just leave conn hanging

Hey Frank, are you still with us?

The advice to check out the ARRC at Road Atlanta is great advice. You will, in fact, see the best of both car and driver.

The previous post stated that it takes place in October. It USED to take place in October, now it's November. Specifically, November 8,9,10.

Welcome to the party and good luck!

Rory