Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attempt a rebuild? (long)

Back to JY tranny's. I thought the one I put in was OK, but while under the car tonite, I see that I have tranny oil all over the place. Not sure if it came from loose bolts on housing, or if it came from the joint where the drive shaft connects into the tranny. There is some sort of seal there, I guess, is this the "pilot bearing" everyone is talking about in the other thread?

Anyway, any thoughts????

------------------
    G. Brooke Carter
    # 10 Challenge Car
    Calgary, Alberta

Posted by bcarter

*There is some sort of seal there, I guess, is this the "pilot bearing" everyone is talking about in the other thread?*

The pilot needle bearing of the other thread is at the Eccentric shaft end of the transmission. From memory it's about 1/2 inch inside diameter x 1 inch long. After the bearing is installed there is a lip seal that is installed to keep the grease (hand packed in neeedle bearing before installed)in.

If you have a Mazda Comp catalog (or their webb site ?)look at the motor parts & this pilot bearing & seal are item numbers 33 & 34.

Have Fun

David

If you dropped the driveshaft already, fluid will leak out of the back of the transmission.

As for synchro problems, if you aren't using Redline MTL in your transmission, you should be. It's the only lube specifically formulated with the friction that synchros require to work correctly. It will often "heal" grinding synchros and prolong the life of good ones.

Clutch: I use a 4-puck under a stock (Borg Warner)pressure plate. It does hook up harder and sends a shock down your driveline, but so far it has not been a problem. I also have one in my street Jetta.
    The only pressure plate upgrade I'd consider is a Centerforce.

Rex Burkheimer
    SRX7 #39 SOWDIV

Just an update...

The friction material on the flywheel side of the clutch was G O N E ... down to the rivets, although the rivets were still there. There wasn't even evidence that it even existed, it was so clean. The pressure plate side was fine.

Any clues as to what could have caused that? We've got a couple of theories that maybe I zinged it once on a downshift, but I don't recall doing it.

------------------
    Scott
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it
    Izzy's Custom Cages

[This message has been edited by Speed Raycer (edited January 05, 2004).]