Thread: 2nd Gen RX7 Transmission Lubricant

Default 2nd Gen RX7 Transmission Lubricant

I just had my trans rebuilt- the builder swears I should use conventional oil because of "heat transferance" problems with synthetics.

This seems contrary to my past experience, plus what I've heard from others. Wear may be
    better, but this trans got real hard to downshift from 4th to 3rd on my first weekend out with it.

Anybody got good or bad experience using synthetics with a "7" trans ? I know they are a little delicate- I'm leery of experimenting.

Thanks for all feedback !

I run synth in my 1st gen. I've used NEO, Redline and Amsoil, with no apparant differences.

i've been using redline and love it! it definetly made a big difference.

mike

Are you using MTL, or MT-90 ? I'm a bit lerry of using MTL, works fine in my street Miata, but greater heat/ loads in the ITS trans ??

Thanks much.

I am always leary of the "old school" thought process on synthetics. Most syns are top notch.

We use Mobil 1 in the 13B and the appropriate Redline product in the diff and tranny.

AB

I've run both the MTL and MT-90. MTL was in my previous racer, MT-90 in the 1st gen. No failures with either. How gutsy are you? Try the MTL then, it's thinner than the MT-90 and theoreticly causes less parasitic drag.

Actually, I decided to play conservative and go one notch up from MTL (to the MT90). We'll see how that does.

Thanks much for all the feedback.