Thread: Best place to mount a proportioning valve.

Default Best place to mount a proportioning valve.

I have just swapped a GSL rear end into my car. I have also swapped the larger master cylinder and its proportioning block. Bled everything and went for a test drive. The rear brakes lock up before the fronts, which are new. So, I picked up a Wilwood proportioning valve and I am looking for the best place to mount it. It looks like it would really easy to install it between the master cylinder and the stock proportioning block – will that work? Will it mess things up? Where do you suggest that I mount the new proportioning valve?

Thanks

I installed mine between the stock prop/metering block and the line to the rear axle. I would suggest that you install it somewhere in the car where you can reach it while belted in. Also mount it and all lines where they are not the highest point in the system. If you can't mount it where you can see it, put a reference somewhere in sight as which way to turn it.

Edited since I noticed your screen name:

Maybe it is not AS important to mount it where you can reach it. However fine tuning it from the driver's seat is the best way. Benifit also if you ever road race the car.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited June 17, 2002).]

I installed mine in the interior on the transmission tunnel where I could easily reach it. It is the Wilwood dial-type valve installed on the single line going to the rear axle.

I routed the line through the interior on the transmission tunnel. Be sure to leave space between the line and the tunnel - the tunnel gets hot due to the exhaust. Make sure you use the right diameter line and fittings - the Wilwood valve uses American threads and vs. metric on the stock line.

Works great!

Ditto, mine's the same as Rgrunenw

PaulC

If your mounting the lever style on the tunnel, make sure its out of the way of your shifting motion.
    I accidently loosened the top on my prop valve last year at M-O at the end of the back straight. Its no fun finding out you have no brakes at that point. Ended up putting the car on the roof in China Beach.

If you have removed the E-Brake lever completely, this is a good spot for it. Remove the stock proportioning valve @ the master, and run the rear line up against the tunnel. All that is needed is to drill a hole in the front of the E-Brake area to allow the line to enter. Once it is secured, the prop valve doesn't even need to be bolted down. Brake line in, prop valve, and brake line out.

------------------
    Corey L. Clough
    ITS RX7 Soon-To-Be
    [email protected]

Thank you all for your responses. I think that I will mount it through the tunnel, so that it is within reach. You have been very helpful.

Thanks again!