Thread: best oil for a rotary...

Default best oil for a rotary...

I hope this hasn't been covered to death here.....but what's the best oil for an ITA rotary? Does anyone have any data from testing or an article they could refer to?

Thanks,

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    ITA 57 RX-7

Jake,

No articles or data, just 3 years of experience and talking to other guys. The rotary burns oil. Hence we run 50 weight Valvoline racing oil. We were concerned about the synthetics possibly leaving deposits and messing up the seals. This may not be an issue, but it has come up in several discussions and if one goes back to the original Mazda specs they don't call for synthetics in the 12a. I really can't see much advantage to using synthetic anyway, but perhaps someone has some data.

D Plank

no science just experience with endurance racing 1985 gslse back in early 1990's. mineral oil gave best results in terms of apex seal/rotor housing life (castrol 20w-50) as compared to red line synthetic.

Originally posted by charles lovelady:
    no science just experience with endurance racing 1985 gslse back in early 1990's. mineral oil gave best results in terms of apex seal/rotor housing life (castrol 20w-50) as compared to red line synthetic.
    Does it hurt them to run Redline.....I just purchased a 1980 RX7 and that is all that previos owner ran in it.....He gave me 2 cases of 40 weight.

I would REALLY stay away from any of the sythetics (as long as the RedLine you have is not Sythetic).

See my previous post on "synthetic oil in a rotary."

Remember, "its better to be Rotary, then to be Piss t on.

Frank