Thread: Disabling steering wheel lock 2G RX-7

Default Disabling steering wheel lock 2G RX-7

How'd you guys do that? I tried cutting it, wore out 3 jigsaw blades without making much of a dent.. high speed cutter on the dremel doesn't touch it either.

I thought about putting a thin piece of aluminum in there and sandwiching it between the lock and the steering shaft, there's not a lot of force on that lock piece, so it shouldnt' punch thru (22 guage aluminum).. That's the way I'm leaning, but if anyone has other ideas, I'm open.

PaulC

------------------

Paul, not that I would do anything that was illegal but think about drilling two holes at an angle & two roll pins. Remember I just said "think about it", I did not suggest that as a way of removing the steering lock.

I have read where others have used a grinder, sounds like a lot of dust & extra work.

Have fun

David

Warning- I've never torn apart a second gen, so I'm not sure if its the same as a first gen. Can't imagine mazda retooling the ignition switch though, so try this: Go to Mazspeed.com, look in the Facts section. See if the pics for the first gen switch look the same as yours. Might do the trick...

If you can wait till I get home I'll snap a pic of mine and e-mail you. Someone on this list told me how to do it. Really easy. I removed my switch to do it but it could be done in the car. If I could see a picture I could explain it better but you drill out a cap on the bottom of the switch which removes the spring . I don't think you can remove the pin w/o major surgery and I don't know if you need to but I epoxied mine just so it wouldn't/couldn't accidently jump up and lock. It's working against gravity but you never know. Let me know if you want a photo.

Yep, that sounds like the same lock. Pics and write up are at mazspeed.com in the facts section.

Photo would be great. I looked the Mazspeed.com stuff, but the lock looks different. Email to [email protected]

Thanks!

PaulC

------------------

I remember there we two screws that didn't have a slot in them that I slotted with a cutoff wheel and removed with an impact driver. Once those were removed the lock mechanism was exposed. I cut the actual latch off with a pnuematic cutoff wheel. The latch would stay out so you could just hack it off, I had to kinda wedge a screw driver next to it to hold it out. Don't remember the metal being that hard to cut...just hold.

Chris

Once you have the ignition switch off, use a 4" rotary grinder and just grind off the square pin. Took me about ten minuetes.

Ok, did it. thanks to ITSRotary for the pics, and Dave Damouth for the description.. On the underside of the lock switch there's a tin cap. Drill right in the middle, with a largish bit (I think I used a 5/8", and the spring will pop right out. I put some JB weld on top to ensure it stays down.

PaulC

Originally posted by Silkworm:
    Ok, did it. Thanks to everyone for the ideas, but special thanks to ITSRotary for the pics, and Dave Damouth for the description.. On the underside of the lock switch there's a tin cap. Drill right in the middle, with a largish bit (I think I used a 5/8", and the spring will pop right out. I put some JB weld on top to ensure it stays down.

PaulC