Originally posted by sburkett:

"Includes- carbon apex seals, competition apex springs, side cutting of rotors for high RPM use, clearancing of all main and rotor bearings, special housing selection, hardened 3-window rear stationary gear, hardened front gear, rotor to rotor housing clearancing, balancing of rotating assembly, adjustable oil pressure relief valve, large oil pump..."
Ok guys, go easy on Mazdatrix unless you know something is wrong. Balancing, clearancing, ect is ok. Hardening a stock gear is ok. Replacing the bearings is ok. I'm pretty sure that mazdatrix would argue that trimming a thousandth or two off the few little spots on the land that may contact falls under "blueprinting", in that some rotors are wider than others. And I'm pretty sure that the "special housing selection" Involves hand picking the stock housings with the best core shift, as opposed to an illegal housing. I'm sure they will answer any questions you have....

Regarding cost, you pretty much get what you pay for. $1500 will buy you a "street rebuild" from some of the low cost guys. Basically new gaskets and seals, reuse everything else. Tear enough used motors apart and you will find that old 12a's, even the running ones, are used up and worn out. Bare minimum is new rotor housings and side plates machined, eccentric polished, ect. More likely is replace rotors and rotor housings, consider gear and eccentric replacement. In some cases the side housings are trashed. Mazdatrix web site gives you a matrix of parts that get replaced in the different level engines. Look up the price on those parts and you'll see what you're paying for.