Thread: CRX Camshaft ?

Default CRX Camshaft ?

I have several camshafts under the workbench. These are from the 88-91 Civic/CRX 1.5L & 1.6L with eithor auto or manual gearbox. I am building a D16A6 CRX Si engine and need to know which one to install. Does anyone know how I determine which are which?

Alldata indicates 4 different part numbers for these types and of course there are no part numbers on the camshafts.

d16a6, lift at lobe .195 Exhaust, .225 Intake, you should be within .002 of those #'s

b.

That still wont identify which cams are from which models. DX & Si have the same lift/duration but have different part #'s. I believe that cam timing is the difference. Alldata indicates that all the models have the same pully (same part #). However, I also believe the main difference in all these cams is the distributor angle cut into the cam.

Case in point: I cant get 18-20 degs in ignition (distributor) timing. The max I can get (all the way over) is 16 deg. The belt (cam timing) is timed correct. So this indicates that perhaps I have the wrong cam in there from a different model. Maybe an automatic inwhich would have slightly different optimum rpm range designed for mid end power.

Decking can change timing.

[This message has been edited by Catch22 (edited May 20, 2005).]

decking will change cam timing, but not ignition timing. You should still be able to dial in at least 18+degs...

You sure about that?

If I'm wrong, please explain it to me. 'Cause if I'm wrong I must have the wrong distributor on my ITC car ('91 Standard). I had a really hard time getting to 18 degrees timing after we built the motor. I had assumed it was due to decking, but if decking doesn't effect timing I must have a DX or LX distributor on the car (maybe?).
    I had thought the Standard/DX/LX (dual point) distributors were all the same, but maybe they're not. The distributor I have works fine, I just had to turn it all the way back to get the timing where I wanted it.

Scott = Perplexed

This particular engine is stock. The head has not been plained, nor the block decked. It is a 90 Si std engine. I've determined either the cam is the wrong one or the distributor is from an automatic. You may have the same problem. The other engine is a fully built IT engine and it will go to 20-22 degs. no problem. I'll dig further and let you know what I find.

Its quite possible I have a DX or LX distributor on the car and don't know it. Car runs great though, so its just a matter of satisfying curiosity for me.

I have several distributors. I might experiment with them.