Thread: Posi from Japan

Default Posi from Japan

Apparently Honda makes a posi unit for a '90 Honda Civic with a 35mm and 40mm bearing. I need a 35mm. The only problem is, you can only get it from Japan. Has anyone heard of this and/or know if it's possible to get a hold of?

Supposedly they sell for around $250.

Thanks

Spanky
    #???? ITC ’90 Honda Civic WDCR

You should talk to Tom At OPM in Cummings Ga. He cane get what you are looking for.

I use and prefer the quaife in the gearboxes that I rebuild for my clients.

Tom Blaney
    SBMS Racing Inc.
    http://www.sbmsinc.com/race_shop.html

[This message has been edited by Tom Blaney (edited March 23, 2005).]

The problem with the quaife (from what I've heard) is the fact that they stopped making the unit for a 35mm bearing. They make plenty of 40mm, but not 35mm.

Spanky
    #???? ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

Probably not that difficult for a machine shop to fab a sleeve. Any other differences?

Originally posted by joeg:
    Probably not that difficult for a machine shop to fab a sleeve. Any other differences?

Excuse my ignorance, but are you talking about a sleeve for the tranny or a sleeve for the bearing? I would find it hard for either since I can not fit the 40mm bearing in a 35mm race, and I don't know how or if it's possible to cut the race bigger in the tranny itself.

Thanks

Spanky
    #??? ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

Spanky--Since you cannot modify the case anyway, can you have the surface of the 40 mm diff's bearing surface ground (or hard turned) to match that needed for a 35mm bearing? (go opposite of a sleeve?). Quaife will void their warranty--I know because I had the quaife machined for my car for other issues--but they do not break anyways.

That's why I inquired of other differences.

Cheers.

Sheesh! $250.00 for an LSD? I'd like to know about that!

I've done a lot of searching for just that, and think it's probably too good to be true. But, if you have any more details you can share, please do.

I would say the Quaife-like OBX for $375.00 is your best bet, and find a trans with the 40mm bearings. Shouldnt' cost much.

Jon

Ooops. I see you're running ITC, so a 40mm bearing transmission is not going to be a legal upgrade. Hmmmmm.....

who's trying to sell you a japanese diff?

Originally posted by Jon Nelson:
    Ooops. I see you're running ITC, so a 40mm bearing transmission is not going to be a legal upgrade. Hmmmmm.....

who's trying to sell you a japanese diff?

One of my friends built a '90 Honda Civic over the winter, pretty much identical to mine. His father talked with someone and said that they exist. I've never heard of it and haven't found any information. I've gotten to the point that I need to find a good LSD solution that will fit, which means a 35mm bearing. Quaife has stopped manufacturing the 35mm and only make the 40mm. I'm not quite sold on the OPM unit yet, even tho that's what my friend is going to run for the time being.

Spanky
    #03 ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

From what I have heard, KAAZ is an option (maybe the only option) for 35mm cars. Even if you have a 40mm car, they ship the diff with spacers to accept the bigger bearings, which makes so much sense, it almost hurts.

J

keep in mind that you are all talking about different types of diffs, the kaaz is a clutch type and very agressive for road racing use, and requires frequent rebuilds. The OEM JDM lsd is not the strongest on the planet. They are great for streey use and some tracj days but I have broken them when lifting a wheel and dropping it down hard...this is why most prefer OPM or Quaife...

-davew

Originally posted by spnkzss:

I'm not quite sold on the OPM unit yet, even tho that's what my friend is going to run for the time being.
    Give the OPM unit a try. As long as they know its for track use it will be set-up tight.
    I've never broken one, I am very aggressive/mean to my equipment. After running the OPM, I.m not interested in a quaife anymore (not that I could get one for my car anymore-same boat as you regarding availability).
    The only major gripes I've heard about the OPM is when used on heavier cars & a civic (yours or mine) isn't in that weight category.