Thread: Honda for new driver in Atlanta

Default Honda for new driver in Atlanta

Well, its finally happened. My daughter is old enough to drive. I've been giving her driving lessons and its time to buy her a car. I've been leaning towards a '92 -'96 civic. Any advice on the best year/best choice. I guess an SI would be the best. And where to look in Atlanta. I'm not real familiar with Hondas and I'm looking for something around $1500 thats just for to school and back. About 5 miles per day.

Tom Donnelly
    ITS #54 240z

Yeah. Good luck with that.

You won't find a 92+ Civic for $1500 unless its complete junk. And I've seen junk go for more than that.
    You can find a decent 88-91 for that much, but probably not an Si unless it has VERY high mileage.

Hondas hold value big time. Especially Civics because they are so coveted by the 16 to 25 age group.

I was originally planning to build a '92 Civic CX for ITC, but couldn't find a decent chassis for less than $2000. It was ridiculous. Nice Sis are still often around the $5K mark.

What's the difference between the CX,DX,SI, etc? And $2000 isn't too bad. Can you get a decent non-junker for around 2? I haven't bought a car for almost 10 years now except for a race car. Been looking in auto trader and on ebay and was wondering about auctions as well.

Tom

I KNOW, I KNOW!

'92-'95 Civic hatches:
    CX - 70hp, 1.5L, 8-valve poop head
    VX - 92hp, 1.5L, 16-valve vtec-e head, real rare, not good for much
    DX - 102hp, 1.5L, 16 valve head
    Si - 125hp, 1.6L, 16-valve head

'88-'91 Civic hatches:
    STD - 70hp, 1.5L, 16-valve, real restrictive intake and computer
    DX - 92hp, 1.5L, 16 valve, less restrictive intake and computer
    Si - 108hp, 1.6L, 16-valve

Let me know if you want to know anything else. The 5th gen hatches are still expensive. You won't find a decent one for $2000. The 4th gen hatches can be had for cheaper. But they're older so finding them in good shape is getting harder.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Thanks a bunch. This is exactly the info I need.

Tom

And when my daughter gets tired of the car in a few years.......racecar!!!

Tom

Oh yeah, I do have more questions.
    What's an EX? And an HX?
    And is the '92 CX a good car for ITC?
    Maybe I'll send Colleen to driving school.

Tom

EX is the 2- or 4-door version of the Si HB. There's also an LX (I think) that's an up-featured DX.

The CX is - on paper - a pretty good ITC car, methinks.

The HX is the high mileage mutant that came with the wacky auto trans. Again - I think.

The EX's Coupes are headed to ITA and should be OK answers. The DX is a great commuter option and probably the most affordable in street trim (good supply/demand numbers) but is a motherless child in the ITCS, stranded in A.

K

Kirk's right on the EX - it's the same drivetrain as the Si but in sedan & coupe form. I'm not sure about the HX but what he said could be right.

Personally, I'd find an EX coupe. It'll be a fun little car on the street that's pretty loaded with options. Then after a while, I think it'll make a real good ITA car. Plus they're a lot cheaper and easier to find than the Si's - actually, than pretty much any hatch right now.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Again, thanks a bunch y'all. I've got a narrower target now instead of "some kind of Honda".

We've logged 10 hours short of the required training time and every time we get in the car she says "Found my car yet?" I'm pretty proud of her, she's been learning to drive mostly in my truck with bad power steering.
    I don't want her to take her test in a truck though.

Tom