Thread: RADIATORS

Default RADIATORS

I am rebuilding my car after a crash. A new radiator is called for. I had no problem with the OEM radiator, but I wondered if there was any problem running some
    thing else,like the aluminum VW radiator.

Anybody ever done any measuring/checking to see if a late model (2000 and later) Civic/Accord radiator will fit? The new cars all seem to have really nice looking aluminum radiators but I never looked to see if the hoses line up. If they are shorter/narrower, one could make a simple bracket to make it fit. If it is taller/wider you would be out of luck.

Tony, ya gonna have the car ready for the Sprints? Kevin B. was pretty quick at the Blackhawk national!!!

I opted to get a CSF radiator for $120. Albeit brass, it does not have a plastic balast like the OEM. If you still have the A/C installed, the condenser fan won't clear the header unless you purchase a low profile fan like a Spal, as the radiator is twice the thickness of the OEM. Works great.

http://www.absoluteradiator.com/ProductPag...ge.asp?idProd=9

I have the CSF rad too, ran it this weekend for the first time, it works great!

ive not had problems with my CSF all metal replacement radiator. no signs of rust anywhere. plastic drain plug did break a bit making it harder to torque, but whatever. i got it from 1-800-radiators.

i did hear however that a DA integra is dual core and fits like stock in the CRX, not sure which car you are running.

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited June 01, 2004).]

Tony,
    Fludyne makes a drop in radiator for your car. Call King they should have them in stock.

Bob

Tony,
    Fluidyne makes a drop in radiator for your car. Call King they should have them in stock.

Bob

Come on Tony and Mike, break down and get a Fluidyne. It fits perfectly and your temps will never get above 196. Hope you make it for the Sprints.
    --Bill

Hey Tony,
    There is a Fluidyne rad for sale in the classifieds of this site! Brand new $280.00
    The deal of the day for you.

Bob

I'm using a stock rad in my CRX. Here in Canada there was only one fan on the radiator. Many US models had the dual fan setup (as in my CRX - I bring them back from the States). Here it really doesn't get hot enough for the dual fans. Are you folks using the dual fan setup down south?

The single fan should work fine, even in the south. My autocross car used a single fan for a long time in Atlanta, and it makes more power than any IT Civic.

Does anybody know of a good drop-in aluminum radiator for the 84-87 CRX? I have done some searching and turned up nothing.
    Thanks!
    -Chris

They exist but are expensive. The stock unit, if in good shape works fine. A cheap Modine OEM replacement unit (from Napa or Autozone)works fine as well. The stock units will plug up after several (5-7) years and should be replaced.

FYI, on my G-Prod Civic (10:1 CR), I ran 180 all day long with a stock T-stat and stock radiator. I put in a brand new T-stat and it worked fine at the June Sprints, but a few days later it stuck closed while I was running the engine in the driveway (lucky catch!). So I decided to knock the guts out of the T-stat to act as a blanking sleeve. After that modification, I couldn't get the water hotter than 160 degrees at the Indy National two weeks ago in hot, muggy Indy weather! I will be replacing the sleeve with a smaller hole to choke off the flow to get up to 170 degrees. I run plain water + water wetter.

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited July 12, 2004).]