Thread: Mugen chip for CRX??

Default Mugen chip for CRX??

Has anyone ever tried this type of chip on the CRX? Seems everyone and their dog is selling these cheap chips for the PM6 ecu. They claim anywhere from 5-15hp gain. Seems unrealistic to me, but has anyone ever dynoed this type of chip?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33597

You could also use the chip out of a 1st gen. integra.

As far as i know Mugen never made a chip for any cars. They only made complete ECU's.
    Be careful!

Bob

Originally posted by Chris Eastwood:
    You could also use the chip out of a 1st gen. integra.

How much does the redline and fuel map change. Isn't it something like 7500 vs 7100?

[This message has been edited by Domino (edited December 08, 2003).]

It redlines at 7500 rpm, but I am not sure on the fuel mapping. It makes it run richer, but that doesn't help you out. And by the way I did it on my 1st gen crx-si for ITA, I am not sure if it will work on the later gen's.
    Chris

Regarding chips, I am at that stage of debating whether or not to sink $$'s into the ECU - what are my options for a 90 Civic Si?

Are the gains worth it? Or am I better concentrating on other ways to get more out of the old four banger....?!

It's obvious that there is a potential gain in HP when the ECU is modified. These mods (including chipping) would really have to be Dyno'd to tell exactly how much HP gain they would make and at what RPM range. The sellers of these chips indicate anywhere from 5-15 hp. I just can't believe those numbers without some actual proof. I was just wondering if anyone has done research on them. The problem is, that those that have done the R&D don't want to freely share their efforts. And I can understand that.

Agreed, I can see that there will be a gain of some magnitude - however, not sure if that Mugen chip is legal in ITA (I read IT rules last night but worked in a cold garage afterward and as a result have totally forgotten the wording today....!) However, if it is legal and that cheap then it's worth probably worth a try. However, I seem to remember from the IT rules that you can only substitute parts within a specific model - anyone have a GCR?? If that is the case, then what are my options? (not looking for anyone to divulge months of R&D, just somewhere to start).

Cheers.

One other thing, take a look at the sellers feedback......maybe you could email some of those people that have actually installed this type of chip?

Looks like it could work - although no dyno figures posted.......here's some feedback (I'm assuming it applies to the Honda chip):

"SUPER ITEM!!! 10 min install and WHAM-O !!!! Extra HP, Thanks"

"Wow ,this chip works good,,cost a little more i expected to install though"

"HEY THIS THING ACTUALLY WORKS GOOD !! VERY COOL ,,THANKS ......."

"Great performance chip makes HUGE Diff. Fast shipping and good communication"

MOst of the aftermarket chips that claim to make big HP improvements are pretty bogus, plus for ITA you can only make marginal improvements to the basic motor package (40 over, very mild port matching) which will not take advantage of the overly agressive chip mapping.

What you really want to accomplish is to increase the rev-limit up to the 78-8k range, and to increase fuel pressure if possible and to improve the idle a little but that's about all.

Most of the engine improvements are going to come from proper assembly either by a qualified engine builder (like myself and others) or with patience and practice.

The mugen chips are impractical for most applications. Even the pr3 (b16) mugen chips are designed for 13:1 engines with race cams

For what it's worth, I have a PYR racing chip in my PM6 ecu and my butt dyno says it's a bit faster. Higher rev limit is nice too.

www.locashracing.com is a reputable ecu/chip seller, tell him I sent you

Limey: I believe the ECU is now legal to modify in IT.

One good thing about these chip sets is that they come with a socket. You solder in the socket and then press in the chip. This way, if you obtain undesireable results, you can pop out the modified chip and easily reinstall the OEM chip.

Racer-025,

Let me know how it goes if you decide to slap one of those chips in.

Cheers, Limey

The chips are certainly not a 10 minute install. If you are not comfortable with desoldering circuit panels, then don't attempt this on your own.

I've done a lot of them and they all take me about an hour or more to do. You need to desolder the 28 pin oem chip, install a socket to hold the new chip (solder that up) then plug the new chip in. This way you can swap chips around.

Also, PM6 programs can be programmed and modified. I took a Mugen program and dialed back the fuel maps and put the redline at 7800rpms. Chip works great! Definitely more performance than stock.

All the original Mugen ECU was a stock PM6 with their ROM chip on it. Folks dumped the ROM information and this ios how they can create the ones tghat you see on ebay. But just be advised and buy from a reptuable source that uses high-quality ROM chips.

Thanks tkm,

Is there any code number(s) on the chip that identifies the manufacturer?

hmmm haven't been keeping up which ecu's can be chipped for the older cars.

Hondata I believe will "socket" your ecu for $50.

I'll have to dig around for a program for D series engines but I can at least get a stock program and up the rev limiter and richen the maps up and change timing. Like someone mentioned dyno tuning is the best way but the stock maps can be a little lean in some places and actually can be a little rich in others. I mostly have experience with the DOHC VTEC engines but I can burn chips for you guys if you've got an ECU that's socketed already. Let me know if you're interested. Like I said I'll have to track down a stock rom for those cars. It would be an informal type thing. I could send you a couple chips with some different maps and let me know which one works best. Charge is minimal. Maybe $60 to try out 3 chips or so. Let me know if there's interest. I'll need to stock up on chips and find a .rom for your engines.

s

[This message has been edited by stevel (edited January 14, 2004).]

like mentioned above, dyno tuning is the best way. If someone is local I could go to the dyno and change fuel and timing curves to really find out what works. It would be a small fee for the first few guys as I would need to figure out some stuff for the D series motors. I do have experience in dyno tuning but not with these cars and altering the ecu roms is a bit more complicated on the fly compared to hondata.

If anyone is interested let me know. I would love to really dyno tune a rules prepped ITA integra or CRX. There's a good amount of people out there looking for a good program and I haven't been able to find one to date. Cost wouldn't be much. I'm just outside Boston and know of a dyno that's super cheap to use.

steve

[This message has been edited by stevel (edited January 14, 2004).]

Steve:

Send me an e and we can talk about some testing I have access to a dyno and am willing to fool around with some chips. My Si is 88-91 and I can get a socket put into the ECU

Tom Blaney
    [email protected]