Thread: CRX/Si Instrument Cluster

Default CRX/Si Instrument Cluster

I am having all kinds of problems with the instrument cluster in the new car. The wire harness was out of the 89 car, but the dash and instument cluster is out of the 88. Does any body know if they are different, we can't get the tach or guages working?

If anybody has an 89 they can part with let me know. I'm desperate... Tom Blaney

Tom, I am having the exact same problem as you. I have a 90-91 harness and 88 cluster and nothing on the cluster will work. I found a way to wire in to get the tach to work, but I still can't get the temp or fuel level gauge to work.

Do you have all the grounds connected? I believe there is a separate ground for the gauge cluster.

Originally posted by racer-025:
    Do you have all the grounds connected? I believe there is a separate ground for the gauge cluster.
    We tried a couple of tests, and if we tried to power the tach, the headlights would tour on???

We had a problem with an 88 to a 91 motor, as to the tempature senor. It is hard to figure out but you need to look at the wiring diagrams and make sure that the wires that are suppose to hook through the connectors are going to the right sensors ,etc. In our case two wires were in different locations in the wiring harness connector. They can be moved in the connector with a very small screw driver. We did works perfect.

Ok it's getting down to crunch time. If I replace the tach, and water temp with aftermarket guages, will the ecu know the difference if nothing is plugged into the terminals that went to the back of the cluster.

Any suggestions for the gas guage, anyone... anyone...

Wow, sounds like something major is not connected. I have swapped a few Si harnesses. All my problems were related to not connecting ALL chassis grounds. If I were a little closer, I'd give you a hand.

Originally posted by racer-025:
    Wow, sounds like something major is not connected. I have swapped a few Si harnesses. All my problems were related to not connecting ALL chassis grounds. If I were a little closer, I'd give you a hand.
    Is this a chassis ground directly to the cluster, or within the harness itself?
    I thought I got the ones from the harness. Is there a workaround?

Tom, I know there is a ground that connects to the the steering column. I believe this is the only ground for the dash harness.

I have 3 aftermarket guages (water temp, oil and tach) (although I might go back to the stock tach). The stock gauge cluster is out. No codes flash from the ECU.

Originally posted by pavis:
    I have 3 aftermarket guages (water temp, oil and tach) (although I might go back to the stock tach). The stock gauge cluster is out. No codes flash from the ECU.
    What do you do about a fuel gauge? I'd like to find one that will work on a honda.

I have a fuel cell so no gauge (just have to guess milage) I'm really not sure what aftermarket gauges for fuel are out there.

from what i have seen/read, the 88 crx cluster has its own wiring diagram and then the 89-91 crx are all the same. the 88 and 89-91 crx clusters are different. the 89-91 should have a spot for 3 plugs, but the 88 only has 2 plugs.

as for the civic, the 88-89 clusters are the same and the 90-91 clusters are the same.

i think the 88 crx and 88-89 civic clusters are the same. also, the 90-91 civic and 89-91 crx clusters are the same.

hth.

Tom, although it will cost a few more bux, you can do what I did. I couldnt get my stock cluster to work, so I opted to do this. Plus, it just looks so much better.

***Pic wont work***

[This message has been edited by jasonb (edited May 19, 2003).]

Maybe wtdr.com only allows remote linking from Honda-Tech.com...

Kirk