Thread: What bushings available for ITA car?

Tommy Guest

Default What bushings available for ITA car?

Hi,

First off can someone tell me the different type of bushings available and what is best for an ITA 89 crx?

Poly., Delrin, rubber(OE), harder then OE rubber, solid, any others?

OPM has poly. for a crx but I heard poly bushings are bad. I was hoping to use delrin but can't seem to find any for an 89 crx.

I may be wrong on this-BUT--here goes. My 89 Si has a set of Energy Suspension Poly bushing on the rear LCA's, the large trailing arm bushings and both front and rear sway bars and end link assemblies. You can get others if you so desire in a "master kit." I have been told that we do not need to go with anything except the stock Honda bushings for the shocks and rear upper arms. If you plan to do anything up front you should seriously consider the poly solution for the radius rods; this being due to how they are located. I was also told that you probably will not need to use anything special on the front, but we are allowed to swap out the upper control arm bushings when installing the Specialty Products Camber adjusting anchors.

You will feel the difference in handling in the rear with a stiffer sway bar and bushings over the stock rubber ones. We elected to replace the rear upper arms with factory parts as the car is over 14 years old. I sourced my bushings from Ultra Performance in Tucson and the ADDCO rear sway bar can be bought either direct or from Summit; make sure to specify the poly bushings and end links. To order the ES sway bar parts for the front you only need to know the diameter of the bar.

------------------
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited February 28, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited March 01, 2003).]

Tommy Guest

Thanks for the info..
    So ES poly bushings are the only bushings available for a crx.

Nobody makes a set of delrin bushings?

Actually, I believe that Prothane also has a set that you can use. As to using Delrin-I have never seen them for sale and would think you would either have to machine them from rod stock or comtact a company like Thompson who are the makers of "Nyliners" as used by Ford for the bushings in their pedal assemblies (GT350 anyway).

------------------
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song

try www.progressauto.com they have spherical's for radius rod's, front and rear lca's, also try King Motorsports

way to plug a sponsor B :P

I would also like to know if anyone makes delrin bushings for an 88-91 Si?

If not which is cheaper ES poly full bushing kit or replace with all new OE honda rubber bushings?

Contact OPM Motorsports for the Delrin bushings.
    http://www.opmmotorsports.com/products/products.html

The ES bushings will be less expensive to purchase.

Progress does make the LCA spherical bearings, and I have a set in stock. they run 125 for a pair. I have them in both inner and outer at the rear, and in the inner at the front. The car holds the alignment alot longer too, no more ripping out the poly bushings.
    I also have the front radius rod bearings that mount in the cross member. After installing these, the car did not "hunt" under heavy braking anymore, what a change.
    those are also 125 for the set of 2 and I have access to them as the Ohio Progress dealer.
    To use the LCA bearings, you have to have the stamped arms for the rear, (89-91 only), the 88 arms will not work, so you may have to retrofit a set of LCA rear arms. They are nice!
    If your looking for a rear bar, Progress has an adjustable one with heim links due out in the next couple weeks. Word from Progress is that they are scheduled for production as we speak, but no definate release date yet, my guess, 3 weeks or sooner.
    If you would like more info, or pics, let me know.
    email:[email protected]
    I hope this helps you.
    I have the complete 2003 Progress catalog on disc if you want more info.
    As for the swing arm bushings, I use the Prothane ones that are cast poly inside a new steel sleeve with the adjustable cross bar in it.These have to be pressed in place, a slight hassel but worth it IMHO.
    The set of two ran about 100 bucks, but they are stiffer than the insert available from Engergy Suspension, which is just a poly unit, where you resue the original cross bar piece.

------------------
    Chris Stiffler
    Medina, Ohio
    Street-N-Track Autosports
    (866)438-3966
    #21 ITA Crx Si
    Cen Div
    H4 Competitor in the 2003 NASA Midwest Honda Challenge

[This message has been edited by HiRcc#21 (edited March 08, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by HiRcc#21 (edited March 08, 2003).]