Thread: 89 CRX dx

Default 89 CRX dx

Hey folks. New here and first post. I have the 89 CRX dx and it is a hybrid running a B16a engine right now. I am preparing it for SPU in conference in order to get licensed and the possibility of a west coast honda challenge. If the latter does not work out and I am stuck in the SPU class, I might consider swapping the engine to run in a more normal class.

My question is this, can I put in the Si engine and run it in ITA, or is it just not that simple from a rules perspective? It is a dx, so does that mean it must return to a dx? Thanks for any input.

-Jim

its gotta return to a DX engine and run as a DX for IT.

even if everything else is converted to Si specs, its still a DX chassis. but to be honest, if everything else is to spec, i doubt anyone else would ever care if you put all the Si parts on... the only thing that would put it off is the sunroof, which you can legally change the roof skin anyway...

if youve followed our old thread on H-T, who knows if karl may be more flexible and allow these conversions for honda challenge.

the only thing that would put it off is the sunroof, which you can legally change the roof skin anyway...

Whoa, I better ask now. On my CRX/Si, I am planning on have a body guy weld a sheet of .060 over the sunroof hole (just a little larger than the opening), and bondo over the edges to make it look ok, is this legal?

Tom

Tom-Yes you can do that as far as I can tell. I wonder why you want to go with 0.06 rather than the same thickness as the actual skin-which is what the GCR advises. I have not seen any car with the bondo done, but would think it OK if you do not disturb the inner structure. In my case my fabricator took the skin off and replaced it with a DX panel (yes they are still available)
    Just my experience.

------------------
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA
    '96 Civic HB Just cruising daily
    '99 Prelude=a sweet song in motion

Thanks for the info, I will keep this stuff in mind. Does the dx run in ITC then?

Spritle! You were hiding in the trunk of the Mach V again, weren't you? And that blasted monkey...

You think ITC? Riiight. Try ITA, assuming that a "dx" is the same thing as a "CRX 1.5L (standard)". The 4-speed HB is in C.

No, really. I'm SURE it can be competitive with the same generation Si.

Sorry, man. The rules are stoopid. Good to hear from you, though.

Kirk

BTW - Towey bought a Miata. Bleah.

Sheesh, I guess I just can't get a break...it is a 1.5L std, I think I would need a ton of cheating bastard tricks to be competetive, especially since I can't drive.

I wish I would have read all the build or buy a race car and how to plan one a long time ago. Oh well, SPU here I come.

The miata thing in the NW is about 20-25 cars for next season, and they have been given a spec miata class in conference, last I heard. There are at least three owners within about 3 miles of my house too. BT will have fun in those.

-Jim