Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda CRX Newbie

Default Honda CRX Newbie

Hi All. I am thinking about what to build about a year out from now. One of the cars I am considering is the CRX for ITA. Does anyone have any advice about what model & options to start with and what to avoid? How are they from a cost stand point? I have run ITB and IT-7.
    Thanks.
    Paul

Buy one; don't build one. If you must do it yourself, start with an 88 CRX-SI and install 91 front brakes and rear suspension and disc brakes. Budget for a Quaiffe diff and 4.73 final drive. The rest of the car is subject to much debate. You will start many treats as you get all kinds of advice.

USGUYS:

I am curious about the conversion. Why use a 88 tub, is it much different that an 89-91, which has the rear disc that would warrent that much change.

I am running a 90 in ITA.

Tom

the 88 is, I believe, 2-300 pounds lighter from factory, due to lack of side impact beams, and on US (as opposed to canadian) cars, no door mount seatbelt crap

I'm curious as to why switch to 90-91 front brakes?

Also, the 88 has a slightly different rear geometry that some find better for handling. Your results or setup may vary.

As for the calipers, what I have heard is it is getting hard to find competition pads in the 88-89 front caliper style as the pads for a 90-91 are different. I have heard the 90-91 style has more various options. Not sure about that. I run the 88's and the Hawk blues. I chose the 88's because rebuilt ones can be found for $20 vs. $65+ for the 90-91's. Piston size on both are the same as far as I can tell.

------------------
    Brent Breon
    Cendiv ITA #26
    www.360racing.com

Originally posted by B Breon:
    Also, the 88 has a slightly different rear geometry that some find better for handling. Your results or setup may vary.

As for the calipers, what I have heard is it is getting hard to find competition pads in the 88-89 front caliper style as the pads for a 90-91 are different. I have heard the 90-91 style has more various options. Not sure about that. I run the 88's and the Hawk blues. I chose the 88's because rebuilt ones can be found for $20 vs. $65+ for the 90-91's. Piston size on both are the same as far as I can tell.

Brent, do you know how the rear geometry is different? I have heard this from a few other people as well. What characteristics in the handling are changed?

I think it has different real lower control arms. These arms were used in japan, but they were discontinued after 88 because the public commented that the car was kind of twitchy.

The 88-89 calipers actually are more practical as the pads are identical to later years of civics, whereas the 90-91 are only compatible with 88-90 Prelude S only.

The suspension of 88 are unique to the rest of the years, and yes some say are more desirable for performance (Honda even brought them back and used them for the Integra Type R). Im not sure if parts are equally available for 88 than 89-91, but I imagine they are.

Looking back, I would have rather built off of a 88 and updated parts as needed. But I think thats splitting hairs, but then again, we spends lots of money to split 1/10ths seconds.

there's better shock availability for the 89-91 rear lower control arm style.

If you are to use an 88 model, I recommend upgrading the front brakes and the rear lower control arms to the newer model (89-91). The MAIN reason for this is because it is getting harder to find the performance parts for the 88 model. Many after market parts (ie; shocks, bushings/brake pads) have been discontinued for the 88 model.

BTW you can bolt on the lighter Canadian model doors to the US chassis. I've got 10 of them behind the garage just waiting for their turn for battle!

Are there 5 cars without doors in Canada somewhere? I wouldn't mind having a spare shell someday.....

Jon

I asked around about putting 88 doors on my 90, and the response I got was that they dont line up well, very noticable gaps. Are US 88 and canadian doors different or the same and you are saying something contrary? I'd like to know. I need some ways of shaving weight.

tyson, canadian crx's never came with door mounted seatbelts, so you can get a light(er) door that will fit your year of car. the 89-91 canadian doors still had side impact beams, though

right, so youre saying US 88 are the same as Canadian doors. but i was told 88's dont fit. but ill take racer025's word that they do indeed as confirmation that they do...

People just like to keep the rules NERDS busy, it seems...

Ignoring for a moment that Canadian clubs have adopted IT regulations, what rule allows the use of Canadian doors on an IT car running under SCCA sanction in the US? I think that the answer is "none" but if someone has seen something that NERD-boy here has missed?

Kirk

If the 88 canadian door is the same as an 88 US door and updating/backdating is allowed, I don't see why you couldn't put an 88 door on an 89-91 car. Unless it physically won't fit. But the key is the same as an 88 door. I mean, there are knockoff import replacment part doors out there that aren't maybe exact replicas in terms of seam seals, etc. but replacement parts are legal aren't they.

Now, if you want to put an 89-91 Canadian door on that doesn't have the door mounted belts to replace a 89-91 US door with door mounted belts, that might be a different issue.

------------------
    Brent Breon
    Cendiv ITA #26
    www.360racing.com

[This message has been edited by B Breon (edited August 07, 2002).]

Lets play True/False, help me understand this:

1. Canadian doors are the same from 88-91
    2. US 88 doors are the same as 88-91 Canadian doors
    3. US 88 doors fit US 90 crx.
    4. You are allowed to use a car originally registered from Canada
    5. Canadian parts are not legal in SCCA

Please number your responses.

if i remember right, 89-91 front caliper piston is 3 mm larger than the 88. it's not much but every little bit helps.

~J

Originally posted by B Breon:
    If the 88 canadian door is the same as an 88 US door and updating/backdating is allowed, I don't see why you couldn't put an 88 door on an 89-91 car.
    ...agreed, but the whole convesation started with "BTW you can bolt on the lighter Canadian model doors to the US chassis". Chris S. further explains that this is because they don't have the provision for door-mounted belts.

IF (and that is a big if) the Canadian doors were the same as the US-spec doors, then I would say bolt away - the result will be a car that will hit the track "as offered for sale in the United States". Evidence (and even recommendations?) here suggest that this is not the case and that there is an advantage to be gained using the doors from up north.

Tyson wants to shed some weight - don't we all - and he can do this within the up- and back-date rule, with US parts assemblies off of cars on his spec line, or parts that are the same as US parts. If the Canadian-model doors, regardless of year, are lighter than the US version of that same year then they are not the same. Using them would be cheating. Cheat-ing.

Any question about aftermarket parts would be a red herring at this point. If they are not the same as the OEM parts, then they would be illegal too. Am I the only one confused about why this is even being considered?

Kirk

Kirk, the point of using canadian doors is that they are source with a greater supply of 88 style doors. buts thats all assuming that in fact they are the same as 88, and that 88 do fit on non 88 cars. god forbid us for wanting to cheat.

are you missing the fact that 88 doors in the US ALSO did not have door mounted seat belts?

[This message has been edited by Tyson (edited August 07, 2002).]