I'm starting the cage build process (very excited). I'm meeting with my fab this week to take the measurements etc. He has some ideas and I have some questions regarding placement of the points and associated connections. Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated. My questions are as follows:
1. What's the best place for the front down-tube? In front of the dash and A/C vent? (closest to driver) Down trough the A/C vent? Or following the angle of the pilar, close to the glass, between the windshield and dash (notch cut into the back of the dash and furthest from driver). I'm most likely having the last one; easier entry/exit and more cave-in protection.
2. What's the best place for the main hoop? Welded to the lowest part of the floor or 4 inches higher on the "hump" where the cargo juck used to be? I don't have my seat yet so I don't know how much clearance there will be between the seat back and the horizontal bar.
3. What's the best place for the rear braces? On the wheel well closet the the shock tower? (I like this is the weakest part) The floor where the wheel well attaches to the body and adjacent to the shock tower? My only concern about attaching it to the floor is that it will create a 45 degree angle from the actual body of the car (measured from the rear quarter panel glass to the brace).
4. I won't be incorporating NASCAR bars yet as I will have to drive it and need the glass. What is best? An X bar or two horizontal bars with two perpendicular pieces in the middle connecting them? (I see now per the GCR that a X bar won't be legal. I must have misread it)

5. I know the minimum weight for the CRX is 2140. The cutoff for using 1.50 x .095 DOM material is 2200 lbs. I take it a lot of people use 1.50 x .120 tubing then. 60 lbs is a small margin and I don't think I will able to get it that close. Since I don't have a scale and it will be driven on the street. Oh well .120 it is then.

Thanx.

[This message has been edited by Domino (edited September 16, 2002).]