Thread: Which 88-91 Civic Hatch is ITC?!?

Default Which 88-91 Civic Hatch is ITC?!?

I have an 89 Civic DX hatchback just wanting to become an ITC car. It is a 4 speed. CAN IT? After checking the 2002 rule book, it looks like ITA now (2001 seemed like it was an ITC Car).

Who might be running one in ITC?

There is no way a DX could compete in ITA I don't think.

Do I need the weak standard model?

Thanks, Matthew Douglas, Colfax NC. [email protected]

------------------

Weak standard model with the 4 speed no less.

DP is right.

whats the control arms like on that compared to DX/SI? is it basically the same car except for power? i imagine with a decently built engine (i mean refreshed to spec of course) and changing the gearing, it wouldnt be that bad.

I believe suspension wise, it is identical to the higher-grade cars but with the exclusion/inclusion of roll bars and different rate shocks and springs.

Dennis

Makes me wonder why ppl dont use the updated civic in lieu of the 510 for ITC. there is one ITC civic in my region, but hes just starting out. i do overpower him tho by a lot more than i do other 510s i guess. anyone else want to comment on the potential for the itc civic? are we better off using the HF?

Figures on the Standard model. 70 HP and 4 speed, think I'd rather run my 1974 Civic 1200 autocross car in ITC!

I wasn't worried at all about the suspension, you could run exactly what the ITA cars are running.

The DX and standard models only have 2 fuel injectors, so I think it's way limited as an ITA car. At least there you can run a 5 speed tranny in ITA. I think the 4 speed would compete fine in ITC though, limited top speed.

Maybe an ITB car is where the DX should be. The HF was only made in CRX form, and that's runs ITB.

Darn, I spent a lot of time gutting the hatchback and scraping undercoating and probably won't pursue the project until it gets classed better. Teach me to look at an old rulebook again! 2001 showed it as ITC.

Um, Matt: a late model (88-91) Civic hatch won the ARRC last year in ITC and Jim Mitchell is tormenting everyone in ITC here in the SEDIV. 1:27's at Roebling is SMOKIN' in ITC and he ran those in April. I don't know his e-mail address, maybe someone else does.

I don't know squat about Hondas so I can't tell you what year Tracy Nine's car was (ARRC winner) or what year Jim's car is. But from talking to folks, the car handles like a slot car, and has better brakes than the earlier Civics. The downside is that it's heavier (the earlier cars can out accelerate it) and the transmission sucks (ratios are VERRRRY wide).

MC
    #14 GP VW Scirocco

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited September 09, 2002).]

Everything Mark indicated is true. Also the newer Civics have much better aero numbers than the older cars which helps their top-end. The old Civic's have the aero numbers of a brick. On a very tight, twisty track the older cars might have the edge due to gearing and weight. On a horspower track (Atlanta, Daytona, Road America) the newer cars are favored. One other issue is that the older cars have been around forever in IT and have pretty reached the peak of their development curve. The newer cars are still being developed which means they will probably get faster in the next couple of years.