Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LSD

I had the opportunity to drive a similarily prepared car this weekend except that it had a quaife...WOW what a difference!!!! You don't realize what differnce it makes untill you try one. I have thought all along that I don't get wheel spin in my car so why do I need one? Well the reason I don't get wheel spin is because I sub-consiously don't apply power in situations where the wheels will spin causing understeer...Driving the car with the quaife I could plant the powr down way earlier in corners with no chance of wheel spin and much faster exit speed...I AM SOLD! now I just have to sell my left nut to afford one!!!!

That's interesting..... I've been grappling with the thought of getting a quaife for some time now, my same reasoning was "I don't get wheelspin", so maybe that shoots my theory out the window.

Was the car you drove similarly prepared to yours in terms of spring rates and swaybars?

I switched to a larger rear bar this spring, I can't beleive the difference it has made. It almost FORCES you to apply power earlier, where I had to be feathering the throttle before to avoid understeer at the exit, it now rotates completely through the corner. The night and day difference would likely be similar to what you experienced.

On second thought, why not get that testicle on E-Bay as soon as possible, get a quaife, and let us know how you like it.

Mind you, you'll be running with a little less "testicular fortitude" than before, it might adversly affect your laptimes.

Jon

PS - See you this weekend? See posts about where to stay in Gimli!

True Jon, the car definitly has stiffer spring rates. however some of the places I was applying power would definitly without a question cause the inner wheel to spin and cause brutal understeer whereas the quaiffe just planted the power. I have been debating going to a stiffer spring but am undecided as what to run.

------------------
    Gordon Galloway
    Honda CRXsi
    IT2 #32

BIG HEADS UP!!!!!!
    One of the Civic's were running had a Phantom grip LSD...I don't ever recommend anyone running these for a road course circuit and here's why. We were 46 laps into the roughly 60 lap race and suddenly bang! The car wouldn't shift and the tranny lost all it's oil. This tranny does have a few track KM with the Phantom Grip. Anyways we pulled out the tranny and tore it down. As soon as we got the case apart we could already see a couple pinion gears in the bottom of the case. One of which was jammed between the case and shift linkage. which is what broke the case. When we finnaly got the diff out it turns out the extra pressure put on the pinion gears and the pinion shaft caused extreme wear on the pinion shaft. The ends where the pinions ride was worn so bad that it was roughly 2/3 it original diameter and finnaly the shaft broke spewing the pinion gears into bad places. This was my original suspicion with the phantom grip as the factory diff just wasn't designed to withstand these extra forces from the phantom grip unit. Now my theory is confirmed. If you have a phantom grip and are happy with it I would still recommend pulling the tranny out once in a while, tear it down and inspect your pinion shaft and other related parts to ensure the same catastruaphic failure doesn't happen to you!

------------------
    Gordon Galloway
    Honda CRXsi
    IT2 #32

Sorry, the your tranny failure was not the result of the Phantom Slip unit.

88-91 L3 trannys do NOT have a harden pinion shaft where as 92+ S20 trannys do.

As much as I hate the PG, it was not it's fault this time.

A PG will show damage from heat/scoring behind the shim that the side pinion gears on the differential casing.

How bad does the J.B. team hate me for my comments?

They ran me off the road on I-71 southbound, 1/2 way between Mid Ohio and Columbus.

I'm not gonna be a regular on this board, was just linked here. If you have any tranny questions.......

[email protected]

My Honda Tranny page......
    http://home.cinci.rr.com/mistab0ne/tranny.html

it does need some updating though.

Just a D series tranny guru.

[This message has been edited by Mista Bone (edited August 06, 2002).]

delete this

[This message has been edited by Mista Bone (edited August 06, 2002).]

Good to see you on this forum, M.B. I have been trying to keep up with your info via honda-tech.com but your feedback will be appreciated here...

Kirk