Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost there.... ITA 1st gen CRX

I keep looking at the picture of your car and maybe I'm missing it-but there seems to be a bar missing that should come across the top along the door opening and then down to the floor. OR do I see that you have it very tight to the roof over the door opening and coming down the "A" pillar on the driver's side and harder to see on the passenger side. Is this the case on both sides and the pair are connected together above the windshield by a cross bar. The correct cage is shown on page 150 of the GCR for IT and Showroom Stock. This is the basic design and is in general correct for all closed cars using an 8-point configuration.
    YES, you do have an 8=point cage based on where the tubes are located and the number of plates you used. The horizontal bar under your dash must be a continuous piece of tubing for IT. This is why we elected to put mine above the cluster-but between the bends on the down tubes.
    The best thing you can do is find the regional tech inspector and have the chassis checked. Another point-There are those of us who feel strongly that the integrity of a cage can be compromised by drilling any holes in it-even inspecition holes. Seems that SCCA has always required them even though technology has provided an ultrasonic test device. Make sure you have the required hole in ALL of the tubes
    in a location that is not "critical" to the structure. Only 1 hole in the main hoop is required along with 1 in each down tube. SCCA Tech suggest that these be on the Driver's side of the car. The cross tubes also need a hole.
    No holes may be drilled in the cage for mounting anything. It is recommended that tabs be welded to the cage to allow the mounting of things like radio boxes and mirrors.
    Can you post a picture or explain your fuel sampling setup (maybe even e-mail it as I need to do that).
    Again-I think you have done a great job in preparing your car.
    Sorry about this post-but safety and rules compliance is the issue here.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited June 17, 2002).]

Alright Clay My Turn,
    Cage looks good! My only thoughts are on the optional bars to the front.Gcr section 18.2.1.c says" If the two optional braces refered to in 18.2.1.b are utilized they shall be mounted,one on either side,from the forward section of the cage to the FIREWALL or FRONT FENDER WELLS no braces shall pass through the front fire wall" Next in the ITCS section17.1.4.10.3 it says the same thing.
    The only thing i,would worry about is if the place where those bars are attached would be considered the floor. Looks pretty close to me. As to my car,it is ready to go!!
    Do not forget i'm alone at the shop on thur
    and fri so, bring beer if you are coming over.June Sprints with the GT-5 fiat and EP prelude on sat and sun. Yes I've got your front brake pads and tons of advice!
    See Ya
    Bob"Honda"Clark

Sorry for the mis-leading advice. I did preface my comments by saying that I race Solo2, but of course this is an IT forum.

A thousand pardons....

BTW, changing the front CA bushings is very easy.

Scott

cbstd - no problem. I pretty much cuaght on that you must race CSP in a similar car. This car will get plenty of CSP time this year just for seat time. I usually drive a D Mod Honda Civic

jc836 - I used the fitting from a B&M fuel pressure guage which replaces the factory banjo bolt at the fuel filter. From there just a 90 degree NPT to AN -6 fitting, AN -6 line with a capped end.

"Honda Clark" - I think I'll be out on Thursday or Friday for sure. I'll bring beer - you bring a working mind. Glad to hear the 1g is in your possesion. We are going to OWN Cindiv this year

I'll provide an update on Thursday morning. I'm not going to be able to dig into the project until Wednesday night.

Clayton - who thinks this may be the most hectic week of his life thus far (I'm not married )

Ausmith:
    Thanks for the reply on the fitting-I hope that you can post a picture at some point. BTW: Inlet or Outlet side? You said you capped the end of a section of line-did you consider a Schrader valve?

------------------

[This message has been edited by jc836 (edited June 18, 2002).]

RE: Integra ECU.....

I was only the dyno last week and decided to see if the teg ECU did much. Short answer, NO!. Sure you gain a few hunderd RPM and maybe a tiny bit more power and torque below 3500rpm but you loose throughout the rest of the power band. My car had a very very mild cam(it could be a stock cam, grrr another story), P&P, no cat, header, home made intake. Maybe it would be different if i match the ECU with the TEG injectors but i didn't want to change injectors over a hot engine.

Ausmith,

Your cage looks good. The only recommendation that I can give you, is next time, build the main hoop so that the uprights of the hoop are bent so that they are pressed against the b-pillers and the top bar pressed against the roof. This will add stiffness to the chassis and minimalize damage if the car has a rollover. I know with the CRX, it has a "platform" in the rear which makes it difficult to do this, but it can be done.

Thanks for the tip... but the next cage I do will not be on a 1st Gen CRX!

Good information on the Teg ECU... I'm still trying to find someone that can "chip" an OBD-0 ECU... I'm really just interested in a few more RPM. It would be interesting to see a wide band O2 ploted against your dyno with the Teg ECU. I wonder if it was rich or lean and if a FPR might help.

That CRX is really nice, good job.

My guess is that it was running VERY rich with the teg ECU. Actually it runs quite rich with the stock ECU(safty over proformence). I believe i should be able to find more power by running the car lean using a Fuel pressure regulator and forget about the ECU tuning(crap, more dyno time and for that i need to use a wideband O2$$$$ ). If you find any info on non OE OBD-0 ECU's i would be very happy if you could pass it on.