Thread: Oil to run with a Quaife?

Default Oil to run with a Quaife?

Haven't run a Quaife ATB Diff before. Have used the OPM style in the past with 10W30 oil. Was wondering, what is the general concensus on oil to run with a Quaife. Regular 10W30, Synthetic, Redline MTL. Come on spill the beans!

------------------
    Brent Breon
    Cendiv ITA #26
    www.360racing.com

Hey Brent. Not that it is the best, but for 3 years I have run Valvoline 10w-30 in my Quaife and change it about every 4-5 races. Never had a problem and it works great!! That is what the guys from Quaife recommend. OPM put some different stuff in there when they installed my final drive, so I would call them and ask if you have a final drive as well. They use a different slip so I would use what Quaife recommends since they offer a lifetime warranty!!

--Mike

What does the manufacturer recommend?

K

Just for fun, I sent an e-mail to Quaife in the UK and asked this question. Their reply? Use what the manufacturer recommends if the ATB unit is in the standard gearbox (usually a GL4 or GL5 rated lubricant), or 75W/90 hypoid if in a diff.

They recommend something called Silkolene brand gear oils.

MC
    #14 GP VW Scirocco

I used MTL Red Line in my Quaife, but make sure to changed it every 5 races.
    Louis.

Silkolene was the sponsor of the old Jaguar Le Mans cars, very pronounced livery, still big in the UK.

And, you might want to use the following for your diff; a bottle and a half of 'GM Limited Slip Differential Fluid' filled the remainder with MTF and now the tranny works better than it ever has. A magical mystery fluid, and it came from GM. Use this if yours is clutch-type or if it is Torsen/Gear-type try 'GM Synchro-mesh Fluid' with your MTF. Just talked with a friend today who put this in his ITR per Acura recommendation.

Hope this helps,
    Hubert