Thread: removal of air con unit

Default removal of air con unit

Just wondering about how much one gains when they remove the AC unit. Does anyone have any numbers such as lap times or dyno? I understand that there is also a weight loss for the car also.

------------------

Having just removed my condensor and compressor, I can say its a good 30 lbs. And this is all in front of the engine. As for losing HP, I would think the only issue is the drag on the spinning pulley when the clutch is not engaged, which is nearly insignificant. Just my thoughts.

Bringing this topic back from the dead (isn't that what the new guy is for?).

I just removed the entire AC system from my 88 CRX Si, and I packaged it all up in a box for shipping. Total weight: 52 lbs! If you're only going to remove part of it, the condensor is by far the heaviest part. It's nearly solid metal.

Tyson,
    I feel the difference. I had the AC unit in during school, then had it removed before Laguna. The removal of the AC is what opened up all that engine bay space. Looks like someone could stand in there and work on the car.

Wow! about 52lbs of weight.

------------------
    http://www.ita.hondapowered.com