Thread: CV Axles for ITS Integra?

Default CV Axles for ITS Integra?

I was wondering what axles all the ITS Integras are running i'm in the market for new axles but not sure which ones can stand up to road racing for a good value.

James

Your best bet is to stick with all Honda products. If you have to replace your boots just go to your local acura dealer and buy the boot kit and either take them to a shop and have them rebooted or do it yourself.

All the aftermarket boots are made out of a cheaper quality and the boots will get to hot and rip / tear / exlode.

The last aftermarket set I tried lasted 1/2 hour before I was changing the axles.

------------------
    Scott Seck
    ITS #38 Integra GSR

FYI

A cheap trick I learned from SSA days, is to put black electric ties in each of the bellow slots, have them snug but not too tight.

It helps to keep the boot from balooning, and they seemed to last a lot longer.

Originally posted by spsspeed:
    Your best bet is to stick with all Honda products. If you have to replace your boots just go to your local acura dealer and buy the boot kit and either take them to a shop and have them rebooted or do it yourself.

I talked to Holler Honda and they tell me the axles they are selling to people are rebuilt by CV Exchange (which I have now), they can get Honda OEM axles but they want almost $300 each side. I am looking for another solution that is a good value for the money, I'm not ready to pay close to $600 for new axles.

Scott-what aftermarket axles were you using that weren't working out for you?

------------------
    James Brunsman
    #97 Solo 2 SM

I purchase rebuilts from my local auto parts. As long as you have cores, there about 1-150 for the pair

Originally posted by Tom Blaney:
    I purchase rebuilts from my local auto parts. As long as you have cores, there about 1-150 for the pair
    That's how I've done it for the past 2 years and i've gone through at least one axle every 8 months luckily they were all covered under warranty but i'm through w/ cheaply rebuilt axles, I want something aftermarket now that is cheap and reliable.

------------------
    James Brunsman
    #97 Solo 2 SM

Pretty much any of the aftermarket axles companies in Orlando. The axles are not the problem it is the boots. You can still use the axles you got from CV exchange and just get the boots from honda / acura.

I think there are two large afermarket axle companies and them seem to work fine on street cars but the boots just burst with all the heat.

Last time I had mine rebooted it was only $20 per axle.

------------------
    Scott Seck
    ITS #38 Integra GSR

Thanks Scott, I guess i'll try that out, I got a hook up at Holler that can get me axles for $70 each from CV Exchange, I guess i'll go that route and then replace the boots right away. Funny thing is the ones I have now haven't exploded or ripped, but they are clicking like crazy, I guess from all the heat the grease somehow oozed out.

------------------
    James Brunsman
    #97 Solo 2 SM

Do you have aftermarket suspension on the car? Or has something changed with the geometry of the "factory" angles of the shafts? I ran shafts and boots from AutoZone in my SSC Civic and I only had one failure in 4600+ road racing miles. (The nut/stud broke off the driver's side shaft during a qualifying session. That made it 'fun' to drive!)

Good luck to you!

------------------
    Matt Downing
    www.downingracing.com

I forgot to mention, that I replace the stock grease with redline. Same shafts, new year..

Originally posted by downingracing:
    Do you have aftermarket suspension on the car? Or has something changed with the geometry of the "factory" angles of the shafts?

Yeah, I have it lowered about 1.75-2.25" so it does put extra stress on the axles

------------------
    James Brunsman
    #97 Solo 2 SM

this past year we exploded two cv shafts in our ITA integra.

the first was on the pace lap. a vibration developed as we went out of pit lane. the last corner its simply let loose and i had to coast to the side during the start.

the second time was at the 1.5 hour mark of a 3 hr enduro entering the esses at the glen. again a vibration like a flat tire develpoed and the outer joint exploded. imediately it pulled to the opposite side of the track.

again, had top pull off and coast through the opening of the wall by the corner station.

seems as if the integra when lowered eats up axles on hard suspension compressions like going over curbs or through the grass.

both tom fowler and anthony serra recommended factory parts along with not lowering the car as much unless it had better shocks (koni dbl adj) to handle the suspension movements better.

out at the SEMA show, moroso was releasing their billet mofugas drag racing cv joints!

if you have about $5000 to spend for the pair, you just may get rid of any type of cv joint failure!!!!

I'm looking for Scott Seck, anybody has his phone number, or if you see this message please call me. Thanks