I have recently purchased an 86 itc civic with an 5 speed si tranny w/ lsd. The previous owner had just installed a new clutch before i purchsed the car. While towing the car home I realized that tranny oil was leaking pretty bad on the trailer. Last night was the first time I could jack the car up and take a look. I cleaned the excess oil up and waited to see if I could locate the spring. After about 15min. I could see some oil starting to ooze out of the bottom of the drivers side (long) half shaft axle.

I also noticed that some sort of engine tranny cover near the oil pan and connected to the tranny (possibly a flywheel cover) was a bit bent up and was not secured to the tranny all the way. I don't know what that cover is called. I tried to look in the manual and could not find the name. I would like to replace this part asap.

But my question is what kind of job is replacing a half shaft seal. Can I leave the tranny in the car or do I need to remove it.
The manual shows the replacement of this seal with the tranny out, but I would like to be able to do it without removal. What is all involved. I am new to fwd hondas and would greatly appreciate any advice on completing this job and the name of that bent part that connects to the tranny and motor. Thanks for all you help!! This is most likely the first of many questions that I will post for advice. Thanks Again!!!