Mark C.,

The only 'formula' used in IT is the one that they use to set the spec weight (sometimes). It is:

(curb weight x .98) + 180# (driver) - 180# (allowed removals) + 115# (rollcage), rounded down to the nearest 5#. What this all says, is that for cars ranging from 2000# - 3000# (which fits a large number of the IT cars), the cars spec weights, w/ driver should be 40# - 70# over their curb weights.

The problem is, this formula is considered a 'rule of thumb' by the CB and the ITAC, and is not applied to all cars. In addition, there are other 'rules of thumb' that may or may not be applied to certain cars.

The real problem is that it is all done w/ a "Star Chamber" methodology in some 'back room'. I have no idea why this is such a secretive process. However, I do know that one of the best ways to keep people from asking questions is to limit the amount of solid information that they have to work from.

As far as what determines if it's an ITA, B, C, or S car, I have no idea. I thought that a long time ago there were some loose guidelines that went something like this:

ITC: 8v 4cyl <= 1.6 liter
ITB: 8v 4cyl <= 2.0 liter
ITA: 8v 4cyl >= 2.0 liter, <= 2.5 liter, 16v 4cyl >= 1.6 liter, <= 2.0 liter
ITS 8v 4cyl > 2.5 liter, 16v > 2.0 liter, V6 <= 3.0 liter.

I don't remember where I heard this, but it was several years ago, and was only supposed to be a very loose guideline. A quick look at any of the IT classes will show several exceptions to this.

As Tony said, check out the "Competition Adjustments in IT" thread in the general forum for more discussion on this topic.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI