Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about wheels

Derek,

Aren't the BMW wheels the wrong offset, since they're for RWD cars? Or, does it just mean you don't run spacers (or not as much spacer)?

Alan,

What size are those Momos

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Bill,

actually those wheels off of 318s are exactly the same offset as vw wheels. Im not sure the exact offset, but it is not a rwd offset. It is a front wheel drive offset.

Derek

Bill,

Wheels are 14x6, not sure on the offset (I have not checked yet)...these all came with a package deal on one of the Audi's I purchased.

Derek,

You are right, I spoke to my guru friend and he said other then a slight diffrence in the lip and they are the same offset. They are also a tad thicker hub then the VW ones so you need a longer bolt. I think thats it.

I am just going to troll around for 2 more snowflakes for now and shed the P slots since they make money. I found a set of audi Ronals but they are coveted by the VW scene and overpriced. However I might roll be Brandywine in a few weeks and see what they have, last time I was there I picked up 5 318 wheels and sold them to a VW. Of course that was months before I decided to buy a car and go racing instead of my HPDE events.

[This message has been edited by JamesB (edited July 20, 2005).]

Originally posted by JamesB:
    I picked up 5 318 wheels and sold them to a VW.
    These are the BBS wheels for the 318, right? Remember - there are a total of 9 wheels for that lovely E30 318 behind my garage that's now being parted out in favor of an ITB 2002.

BTW - The ITB "fleet" keeps growing. We've now added a '73 2002 (also black). The next trick is figure out where to put all the spares.

Matt
    You could have your own race series called OPC (Other Peoples Cars).

I know where we could get some track time.

Wouldn't it be great!Tell the owners that they were charged a "nominal" storage fee, and the dents and dings were thrown in at no charge.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97

[This message has been edited by dave parker (edited July 20, 2005).]

Yes matts collection is growing rapidly. Matt that should be the wheels I speak of. They should fit just fine as we have used this on mk2's and 3's without issue. Or find 2 more silver snowflakes so I can have a two sets of them and call it a day. I can collect more wheels later.

Dave - Yeah, I have one spare I planned to keep out there which was the block since I have limited storage capacity at home. The rest of my spares will fit in my garage, but untill I find a TV (in the market just having found what I want yet) or even if not it will end up at my garage soon enough.

I need to take some pictures of Matts boatanchor yard.

[This message has been edited by JamesB (edited July 20, 2005).]

The E30 has a set of Borbets as well - I wonder if they're of the correct off-set to work on the GTi...

Don't worry about your car - I'm make sure that it gets plenty of exercise...

hahaha, yeah on all 3 cyl currently.

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    IIRC, they're (the snowflakes) ~14#
    I broke out the scale and you are right on the money with the weight of the snow flakes. My Borbet's were in the 11-12lbs range. Considering we drive high horse power cars that are aerodynamic I'll take the 2-3lbs less of rolling mass!!

I know the 8-12lbs of over all weight won't make much difference, but how much weight starts to effect performance with rolling mass??

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

Originally posted by JLawton:
    I broke out the scale and you are right on the money with the weight of the snow flakes. My Borbet's were in the 11-12lbs range. Considering we drive high horse power cars that are aerodynamic I'll take the 2-3lbs less of rolling mass!!

I know the 8-12lbs of over all weight won't make much difference, but how much weight starts to effect performance with rolling mass??

Jeff,

I know what you mean. I those Koseis that Kirk got were somewhere in the 9-10# range. And, IIRC, VW teardrops were like 18-19#!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Well I could feel the diffrenece in my mk4 between my street wheels 17x8 19lbs + tire verse my kosei k1 14lbs+tire.

But I am going to side with the penny pincher in me. I have enough startup expenses to be ready for the Fall School so I will be running flakes for a year or two.

Could you really feel the difference, or did you know there was a difference because YOU changed the wheels/tires. We have done this several times to Chris about different things. You might be surprised if it was a truly blind test. (the scientist in me coming out)

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

No I could tell the difference with how the car reacted at the track. But after long talks we are not talking about a 9lb diffrence in wheels, so I will run my mismatched set with fresh tires. The current ones will likely see my rains and eventually I will get a matched set for other tires.

James,

Were both wheels the same size, w/ the same tires? If not, doubt what you were feeling was really a difference in the wheels weights.

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Upcoming track day in October at Putnam Park and I would like to run my A1 on a set of used 15" Hoosier R compound and Hankook SM donuts that I picked up recently. Are there any 15 x 6 steel rims with the right offset that I could pickup at my local salvage yard? I don't want to sink a bunch of nonexistent funds into alloys if the car doesn't work well on tne 15's. Also, has anyone ever run ITC at Putnam? I would like to have some kind of idea as to constitutes a decent lap time. I ran a 1:30.4 last time there, but have nothing to judge by. Thanks.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp