Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about wheels

Default Question about wheels

So I picked up my B car, and other then the known issue of a motor which I have solved, and a few new issues that are minor and wont stop the car from passing tech and all.

The car has snowflakes on it with tires good enough for the fall school. But the spares are a mixture of mhw, snowflake, and a full set of P slot wheels. Now the snowflake and MHW I know breath well, but what both myself and Matt didnt know is how well these wheels breath. Do the suffer the same issues of no air movement like the teardrops, or are they sutable for use?

My reason for asking is to determine if these wheels hit the auction block or if they get the fresh rubber I am looking to go buy.

thanks for your input.

Breath well?? I assume you mean air to the brakes? I never had an issue with the brakes over heating, or coming close to it!!

I would worry more about weight. The snow flakes are HEAVY. I'ld stick with the lightest set for the dry and save a set for rains.........

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

Well I am trying to keep my initial budget down since I still have a motor to pay for, and safety gear to buy. Otherwise, I would be out there looking a number of light weight 14x6 wheels worth running that make these look like nothing.

However, priorities are set and thus wondering if running the P wheels will create any issues with braking.

James

E-mail me when you are ready for wheels. I have two sets, one set still in the boxes, that I could make you a good deal on. They are 14X6 ET38 five spoke that are light and strong. You will notice a huge difference over the snowflakes.

[email protected]

Jon

Originally posted by JLawton:
    Breath well?? I assume you mean air to the brakes? I never had an issue with the brakes over heating, or coming close to it!!

I would worry more about weight. The snow flakes are HEAVY. I'ld stick with the lightest set for the dry and save a set for rains.........

Jeff, I think you're thinking of teardrops. While snowflakes aren't as light as those wheels Kirk got for Pablo, they're not that bad. Lot of folks still racing on them (Chris Albin for one)

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Thanks Jon and others. I actually threw the question out there to see what I should do about these wheels and if they where worth just using or if I should punt them off.

I guess for now I can have the current tires dropped on my unmatched set of wheels and put the fresh tires on the the set of flakes on the car right now. When budget allows I can then go out and pounce on a set of wheels.

Right now my priority is getting the minor issue i have with the cage design changed (door bar is nearly an arm rest. Better gauges then the cheapo set in the car, a new plate to fit the oil cooler sitting in my garage and go from there.

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    Jeff, I think you're thinking of teardrops. While snowflakes aren't as light as those wheels Kirk got for Pablo, they're not that bad. Lot of folks still racing on them (Chris Albin for one)
    I've got a set of what I "thought" were the snow flakes (as told by a couple of people) and they are much heavier than my Borbet's. I don't remember what the difference was, but you can easily tell by just picking them up!! Then again, "heavy" is a relative term!!

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

Jeff,

The Snowflakes were the original A1 GTI wheels. They came on other cars (A2 8v GTI, Cabby, Quantum, etc.). As I said, they're not as light as Kirk's wheels, but from what I can remember, there wasn't a huge difference between them and my old Borbet C's. IIRC, they're (the snowflakes) ~14#

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Snowflake

Teardrop

P Slot

The question that begs to be answered is "What about those P-Slot Pirelli wheels?"

I've used Teardrops and aside from overheating my brakes after 2 laps (yes, I did use the auxillary brake pads but that didn't help), they were heavy and IMHO utterly worthless.

I've also used Snowflakes and currently use them for rains. They breathe well enough although there are certainly lighter wheels on the market.

Now for the P-Slots - I have no experience with these and given their legendary status on Whoretex, it's unlikely that James will get any empirical data other than "Dude, those like rock and like you'll like rot in Hell if you like defile them". Looking at the reverse of the wheels, they seem to have a more open design than the Teardrops BUT the slots are fairly small and inset SO I get the impression that they could be used for rains but nothing else.

IMHO, I'd suggest selling the P-Slots to some Whoretexer who will love and covet them (for tip-top dollar of course). Then find yourself either some nice light aftermarket rims or even another set of Snowflakes that aren't "perfect" to supplement the teardrops that came with the car.

BTW - my house is starting to look like a VW ITB shop with 2 black ITB 8v GTis and the General Li...

I agree w/ Matt. Sell the P-slots on Vortex, and either buy some light-weight Kosies or some more snowflakes. The one thing about snowflakes, is that they're known for being soft (lord knows I've seen plenty of square ones!).

Matt,

Are those A1 or A2 GTI's? And who's are they??

------------------
    SCCA 279608

all of them are A2 GTI's

My Black 87 GTI ITB Car

Alex's Black 85? ITB car (his roomate)

And of course the Li which is ITA.

Mine will come home to my garage soon enough, but I am going to leave it where it is till I get the motor from bill and it makes a stop at Piper to lower the arm rest...I mean nascar bars on the drivers side.

Ok, ill put them on the tex and see what I can find as replacements. Given that I still have other imporant things to buy for the car still (decent gauges instead of the pep boys special) and other things to do, wheels are low priority.

[This message has been edited by JamesB (edited July 19, 2005).]

Chris likes snowflakes because they all match and we have LOTS of them. They are very forgiving of his driving style, and if/when they go to the recycler they are still worth about $7.

The more of you that buy aftermarket wheels, leaves more of the snowflakes for us. Honestly, the weight issue isn't worth the time for most ITB cars, so why waste money on expensive wheels? Spend your money driving instead.

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Thats exactly how I feel right now. and I already found a set of tru but rashed ones locally for dirt cheap. So I think I will shed the P wheels, get something for the fresh tires and when I change out the current tires I will get some rains on them.

So that will take care of me.

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    Are those A1 or A2 GTI's? And who's are they??
    See James's response - my neighbors are starting to think that I'm in the Racecar Collection business Oh, and I forgot to mention the 928, the E30 318 (that is for sale BTW), the CSP CRX, 3 open trailers, my 27' enclosed AND my F350 that are also on the premises.

I'd think that James can find a set of snowflakes fairly easily. They're not that soft (not nearly as bad as BBS of the same era) and if he's lucky, he can source a set of Jetta Carat wheels that are FORGED!!

We like the bmw 318 wheels. They are super cheap, even more so than the snowflakes. They are soft, but like Albin said, that is often a very good thing. Plus the BMW wheels are ligher than the snowflakes. Most of the time a bmw shop will give them to me.

Derek

318 wheels are something to think about. I think I know where there is a huge stack of them for possibly next to nothing.

yeah we are doing a really good job filling matts yard. Though my plan is only have my open or my car at his house for very short periods of time. I have a place to store the B car, the trailer currently could be left in my driveway when not in use, though my HOA is trying to change that (why I dont understand, I guess they want to shed the image of downtown Laurel.)

OK, you guys are going to make me go weigh my wheels!!

I have heard the comments from other VW racers that the snow flakes are so plentiful, that if you bang one up, just stop at the next garage sale and pick some up!! Lord knows I've trashed my Borbets!!

Matt, you've really over heated your brakes?? On what tracks?? What do you use for pads?

------------------
    Jeff L
    #74 ITB GTi

Originally posted by JLawton:
    Matt, you've really over heated your brakes?? On what tracks?? What do you use for pads?
    Jeff - it was years ago using Teardrops and either Performance Friction or Cool Carbon (talk about ANCIENT history) pads at Slummit Point. I thought it was the pads at the time but after merely switching to Snowflakes, the overheating problem went away - that and I started using auxillary brake pads, ITA RX7s .

The best thing about Teardrops is that they're like P-Slots except not as valuable. I've sold ever set I've had b/c I won't put them on my cars since they're only good for looks.

Haz-Matt

As soon as I have time, I am going to be posting some Momo wheels I have for sale....Quantity of about 12, old school Momo wheels with the fins and large rotor protector...best way to describe them before I take a digital photo is they look like the OZ rally wheels (http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/860)

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should sell them for (they are as far as I know/was told straight)

~$35 each?