We are having ongoing problems keeping rear wheel bearings in the Golf III - like to the point that we can kill one in a long weekend on the track...

Last year, we put in a new set, checked and adjusted them once early in the season, then left them alone for the entire year. Because I didn't plan very well, we used cheap-o grease from the local Part-O-Rama or whatever. We had no problems, finishing the year with the VIR 13 hours.

THIS year, we put in new bearings at the beginning of the year and killed both sides after one track day and a NASA 3.5 hour endurolette. Howwwwwl. Grease was Amsoil synthetic - nice and red when it went in but it came out looking like aluminum antiseize. They were installed and adjusted by the same two guys, using the "zero torque," screw-driver-side-push Bentley manual method.

Since then, we've replaced them - what? - four times? Including during the Summit 12 Hour this past weekend. I've tried several manufacturers, from cheap online mailorder places, my reliable friends at Bildon, and the local VW store. We even replaced the stub axles, thinking that maybe they were bent and putting offset loads on the rollers.

Most of the ones we did in this year were under stock alloys and 5mm spacers.

Any ideas out there? Anyone else seeing this kind of problem? We've had some suggestions but I'd love more input.

K