Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premature REAR wheel bearing failure?

...and we did punch in new races - with the right tool - when we did the last three bearing changes. Dirt seals and even the proper sheetmetal "hat" - that goofy little thingy that fits on the stub axle before rotor goes on - are both there.

Bildon is sending me "real" SKF's for it and we're going to quit being anal about adjusting play out of them. The more I ponder this, the more I think we've clevered ourselves into this problem by worrying about them.

K

Hi Kirk,
    We have one car [of 4] that does the same thing, only thing we can figure is rear brake heat, as the driver prefers more bias.
    Using the Amsoil white and with the other 3 cars they last all year.
    Derek

We have the bias on the rear turned almost all the way down on Kirk's car. Probably a combo of grease and torque, but i'm leaning more to the grease. actually the first season the grease was the valvoline full sythetic high heat disc brake wheel bearing grease, which I personally have used for years and am satisfied with. I think a close read of the lable on that red stuff is in order.
    Cameron

Originally posted by Conover@Jun 17 2005, 08:02 PM
    We have the bias on the rear turned almost all the way down on Kirk's car. Probably a combo of grease and torque, but i'm leaning more to the grease. ...
    Well, it looks like I was just erring enough on the side of "too tight," that we were killing them with preload. The more trouble we had with them, the more we diddled with them, and the closer we ran them.

Since they are tapered rollers, a little too much squeeze makes for a HUGE increase in load. Cameron just "threw the last set in" being very agreeable with the washer movement, and they have been happy for several hours of track time.

We never stop learning the same lessons, it seems...

K

Originally posted by Knestis@Aug 15 2005, 02:15 AM
    Well, it looks like I was just erring enough on the side of "too tight," that we were killing them with preload. The more trouble we had with them, the more we diddled with them, and the closer we ran them.

Since they are tapered rollers, a little too much squeeze makes for a HUGE increase in load. Cameron just "threw the last set in" being very agreeable with the washer movement, and they have been happy for several hours of track time.

We never stop learning the same lessons, it seems...

K
    [snapback]58379[/snapback]

we have found on all our IT cars with new bearings we torq to 89 lb then back up untill you can move the thrust washer with a screw driver. a little play in the bearing is good. put your cotter pin and ride.

jon, GSM Motorsports