Thread: Rear axle shims

Default Rear axle shims

I am wondering where I can get shims for the rear axle. I need to adjust the toe. Are they a dealer item? Any leads would be helpful. Thanks, Ned

The only ones that I've seen that are worth using are the circular machined bolt-in ones from Shine/SRS in MA. They come in specific increments or as a whole set for toe and camber, and are positively located by longer stub axle bolts. Some of the others are simply too dangerous to make up for being more convenient (slip in type) or cheaper (plastic type).

We used plastic ones on our rally cars for years without trouble. Problem is, I can't find the kind we used now. They were individual shims with different combinations of wedge on each axis, in like 1/2* increments. You could mix and match them to get whatever alignment you wanted and they had nice, big surface areas. I'd love help on this front, too.

K

Shine has them, (Usually in stock) and if I can recall correctly they come in 1/4, ½, ¾ & 1 degree increments and like Eric said use the new (longer) bolts provided.

The phone # is (508) 660-7974 I think they run about 100 bucks for a set of them

Matt Bal

I use the Shine shims as well. They are only for camber. For toe you need something else. The plastic circular ones that give you various combinations of camber and toe are a PITA as far as I'm concerned. The simple nylon shims that Kirk is searching for, and I also use are here:

http://www.specprod.com/PROD_DIR/PROD_PASSCAR.html

You will have to call them for a dealer near you.

Have more fun,

Dave Z

Dave, I actually drilled a couple of additional holes with the shine shims, and just rotated them 90 degrees to achieve the appropriate toe that I wanted.

I would stay away from the plastic ones, and go with the alum ones from Shine.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

These just showed up a couple days ago:

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/ind...icle_1278.shtml

PJ

------------------
    83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Originally posted by Dave Zaslow:
    ... The simple nylon shims that Kirk is searching for, and I also use are here:

http://www.specprod.com/PROD_DIR/PROD_PASSCAR.html

Yeah - that's not them. Those seem fiddly and anything that is supposed to fit just about everything, probalby doesn't fit anything. The ones we used were square, black, Nylon with oblong holes that lined up with the stock VW bolt stub bolt pattern.

Still looking. I'm OK with the Shine answer if you KNOW what you need, aren't going to do any real testing, and are confident that things won't bend but the rally guy in me is used to having to tweak for beam bendage several times a season...

K

Found the plastic shims at BSI Racing. $16.00 ea + shipping. I just wanted to let anyone interested where they could get them. Thanks, Ned

Come on, don’t you think that's a harsh conclusion. I will make you a deal post you’re Shipping address and I will have Eurosport send you a set of shims for your inspection at no charge. If you think the shims are junk then go and bad mouth the product.

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Yeah - that's not them. Those seem fiddly and anything that is supposed to fit just about everything, probalby doesn't fit anything. The ones we used were square, black, Nylon with oblong holes that lined up with the stock VW bolt stub bolt pattern.

Still looking. I'm OK with the Shine answer if you KNOW what you need, aren't going to do any real testing, and are confident that things won't bend but the rally guy in me is used to having to tweak for beam bendage several times a season...

K

[This message has been edited by Corradoracer (edited April 10, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Corradoracer (edited April 10, 2005).]

Cool. And if it turns out that they are great, I'll tell everyone that is the case:

Kirk Knestis
    1905 Walker Ave
    Greensboro, NC 27403

EDIT - just get it done pretty quick, so we have time to try them out before the May VIR race.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited April 10, 2005).]

Now we all know where to send Kirk's birthday gifts and he's getting free shims!

------------------
    Doug Hillmann

[This message has been edited by vwmann1 (edited April 12, 2005).]

To their full credit, Gary and the www.247-parts.com folks are indeed making good on their offer. They clearly have faith in their stuff which can't be a bad thing.

I'm not afraid to be proven wrong but, however it goes, watch here and on our site - www.it2.evaluand.com/gti - for an unvarnished assessment of the bits in question...

K

------------------
    PhilsTireService.com Team GTI - ITB Class Winner, 2004 13 Hours at VIR - Tuned with Cobalt Friction brake pads, KONI racing struts, and quality OE Volkswagen and racing parts from Bildon Motorsport

TOYO and HOOSIER Racing Tires available at Phil's Tire Service

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited April 13, 2005).]

I'm officially very happy with the Eurosport steel shims we got from 247-parts.com. We used them for the first time this past weekend (1.5* worth). They were easy to install (we used slightly longer bolts on the thick end), but they actually made the rear end stick a little too well. We've got to chase out the resulting understeer...

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited May 09, 2005).]

Kirk, just goes to show you, that when you change something at one end, it might effect something at the other end.

Be carefull what you "wish" for.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

[This message has been edited by racer_tim (edited May 10, 2005).]

Are the steel 247-parts shims usable for toe or just for camber? With only 8 bolt holes, it seems like they're just for camber.

The way they're designed, I think that they only go on the correct way - which is handy if you are me.

K

Edit - "correct" for camber, that is.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited June 05, 2005).]