Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf III ITB

Hey K

Dont do it!!!! Unless you are immune to sea sickness you are better off spending the extra $ and time to make that Golf sport IT ready. The Golf is the worst SS car I have ever driven !! The understeer blister on your hands take years to heal, the aforementioned sea sickness from those awesome stock 80lbs springs are rough and the Civic gust ( as they pass ) are a handfull!!

Originally posted by Knestis:

BTW, for those of you who haven't dealt with him before, Matthew Yip rocks.

K

Without a doubt! Good luck w/ the car Kirk! You know you want to race a VW!!!!!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

A BIG thanks to Matthew for previewing this GTI that I am looking at up his way. I won't be able to see it myself unti this coming Saturday (if it is still there) so if anyone has a line on any other '96 or newer GTI, let me know. Can someone clarify for me what years the Sport was built, by the way?

K

Kirk,

You'll probably get the best information off of Vortex. I haven't really followed anything after the A2, and I really know more about A1's (although I'm buying an '89 Jetta GLI for a daily driver this weekend).

Good luck!!!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

/edit/ typo

[This message has been edited by Bill Miller (edited September 15, 2003).]

The "Sport" Golf III was built from mid 1994 thru the 1995 model year only, when it was replaced ( in name only )by the GTI ( 4 cylinder ) They were all "offically" 1995 models but I have seen some with 1994 VIN's

Thanks! I thought the answer was something like that but the SSS lists a 97 "Sport" in addition to the 97-98 GTI. So the GCR is wrong? (Careful there, Bill.)

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Thanks! I thought the answer was something like that but the SSS lists a 97 "Sport" in addition to the 97-98 GTI. So the GCR is wrong? (Careful there, Bill.)

K
    Who, me???

------------------
    SCCA 279608

I'm in.

Picked up the car this afternoon. Thanks again, Matt for looking it over - couldn't have made the logistics work without your help.

K

Cool beans Kirk!! Welcome (back) to the club!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

(Does happy dance)

On a related topic, I need to find a new auto insurance provider for this ride before I actually go racing. Does anyone know of a racer-friendly company that would be interested in a street liability only policy?

K

Nice looking ride Kirk! Congrats, and good luck building it into a SS car!!!!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Kirk asked about "racer friendly" insurance. I won't touch that, but I can recommend a "driver friendly" insurance company.

For liability insurance only, I recommend AMICA. They have traditionally looked the other way on robbery requests from highwaymen (i.e., speeding tickets) for good drivers who don't have any actual claims. This is one of the few "good ones", IMHO, and they have always treated me very well.

The AMICA policy is a "dividend" policy, where we pay more but get a sizable dividend back (typically 15-25%, if memory serves) if the company does well each year (i.e, low claims).

Eric

Saw this for sale today...

...on another board. Upstate NY, Email Address » [email protected].

Kirk

BSI Racing will be building an A3 for ITB in 2004. We'll be following along as the car is built.

should be a fun ride.

Per
    http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com

p.s: wish I still had my 95 Golf Sport sans sunroof.

Damn - am I having fun! I sourced my rollcage, which is going to basically duplicate this...

...minus some of the rear diagonals that won't fit with the seats in SS trim. We're adding rally-style "taco" gussets to all of the roof joints as well (replacing the tube gusset in the pic), going to a horizontal/single diagonal main hoop triangulation and a single diagonal rather than an X in the back.

I also have one of these scheduled to hit my porch at the end of the week.

Drunken sailers got nothin' on me...

K

Nice looking cage Kirk!!! How much was that seat, if you don't mind me asking.

------------------
    SCCA 279608

It's at the cage builder's this week, after I spent a lovely 4 hours turning this...

...into this:

Nothing horrible going on - no dead critters, no joint where two halves of wrecks had been stitched togehter (like was discovered by a guy I know who was building an ITC Scirocco, that he'd bought when it was only a year old). Less than a buck in change under the rug and who in the hell decided that I should have to disassemble the vent plenum to take out the last two nuts holding in the dashboard? Geez.

The expensive (and heavy) RECARO slider is a work of art and a compromise to the fact that there will be multiple people driving this thing. It's a little tall but has less play than the OEM unit and adjusts over almost a foot of distance a slick as can be.

I also ordered a MOMO steering wheel and hub from IT guy Louis Boustani (LTB Motorsports). If you haven't had the pleasure of doing business with these folks, I recommend it. The price was as low as the "warehouse" place, their website catalogue is user-friendly and informative, and it arrived on my porch in just a couple of days. Excellent service that should be rewarded with more business.

Kirk

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited October 14, 2003).]

Hey, I think I accidently sold my 2003 GCR with my old tow vehicle. Just picked up a Jetta III, mainly for the cage, but it's got me thinking (smoke fills the air)... Is the Jetta III classed, and if so, at what weight (and is all else listed the same as Golf)? TIA

The '93 Jetta III is on the list...

...at 2480#.

^~~^
    *(..)*

Oink!

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited October 16, 2003).]

Hmm, are you implying that my Jetta would be more at home in a mud bog than on a race track? ;-) Actually, some race tracks I know resemble that remark (especially in the Spring). Anyone remember the Left Hander at Lime Rock a few years back?? OK, the non-sunroof Golf search continues...