Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf III ITB

Ah - you are talking about taking advantage of an interference fit, where the cage is actually touching (albeit not connected to) the B-pillars?

That's a point but I don't know how much that gains in practical terms of rigidity. My guess would be not much...

K

Just emailed the comp board to include 94-97 cars, Jeremy @ SCCA confirmed all specs would be the same as current ITA except wheels being 6" wide, same weight etc.. He did not indicate that it would be any problem to include the newer cars. It looks like all will be considered after the runoffs..

BTY Bill, the problem with the 2.0 ABA motor is nobody is builing good chips to take advatage of the legal mods. I built one of these cars and could not get more than 105 -108 WHP ... That is at or less than a good 1.8 CIS motor, and with less weight of a MkII it explains why this should be a ITB car

[This message has been edited by Fastfred92 (edited September 02, 2003).]

Fred,

I've heard from a well known VW builder that 123 CHP is about all you can get out of a 'to the limit of the rules' CIS-E 1.8 ITB motor. I would expect more than a 15-18 hp loss when translated to WHP. And, if that 15-18 hp loss is accurate, a stock 2.0 ABA should make 97-100 WHP. Which would indicate that you're only getting an 8-11 hp gain out of IT legal mods. I would be willing to bet that you can get more than that out of it. I won't even get into the A1 1.8 8v, as it's pretty well documented that the A2 intake flows better than the A1 intake.

And if 108 WHP is all you can get out an ABA motor built to IT specs, I doubt that it would have anything for the Volvos (or the 2002s for that matter). I also doubt that so many people would be looking to build these cars.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

100% agreement with you that this does not sound right however, my experience ( and as I said I built one of these ) is different. The engine builder I worked with thinks a good deal more HP is there but without proper fuel it will not happen. As with the E36 BMW's who found great improvments with chips it will happen with the ABA, and may now happen sooner, but some chip maker will need to invest some $$$$ to find the extra HP. BTW my engine guy thinks 120-125 WHP is possible but you will also need a good header... the common headers on the market did not work very well.

Alan---iI got the four door because gravity and old age are taking over...by next spring I might have to get in the back door!!!
    Seriously I have a 2 and a 4 door but the 2 door is almost too nice to cut up.(key word being almost). I'll put them side by side and let you know. The manual says its about 66 lbs heavier.

jerry

That's why they call it development Fred. Development is more than just throwing a bunch of off the shelf parts at the car. Granted, you can do development w/ OTS stuff, but not when it comes to things like chips and headers (at least not if you want to optimize everything).

I would agree that 120-125 WHP is possible w/ that motor, even on pump gas.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

OK folks,

I have received the Vehicle Specification Sheet form from Jeremy. Do we fill them out individually or collectively? If anyone wants a copy of them just give me a buzz via zascar42ATaolDOTcom and specify Word or PDF. If anyone can host them, please do.

Dave Z

A3 Golf pics...some of which are 4 doors and show cage placement.

http://bildon.com/a3/

Bill M. email me if you want to understand my P/W post.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    ## 2002 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

I might be reading the above post incorrectly but it might be counter-productive to actually send in more than one set of VTS paperwork. Probably better to have one keeper-of-data/submitter...

Kirk

(who is frankly kind of pissed that this change actually came through this summer, since he now has to re-think what he thought was his final plan)

Kirk,
    Admit it. You want to race a GTI

Mr. Zaslow, Your are welcome.
    P.S. Nice jab!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...Admit it. You want to race a GTI.</font>
    Well it IS where I started looking for information when I first visited this site three years ago. I think my very first post was, "Does anyone think the GolfIII can be competitive in ITA?"

Now, riddle me this: What specific models are still eligible for SSC under the new 10-year rule? I would like this to be an option for the '04 and '05 seasons, so someone with old copies of the GCR would be really appreciated right about now.

Even cooler would be someone who knows about an SSC-prepared GolfIII that might be for sale...

K

Kirk,
    My '01 GCR says 95-97 Golf Sport and 97-98 GTI. All specs identical.

So for 2004 I guess you can race all but the '93 in SS.

Per Jeremy at SCCA, next years GCR will include 1995 and 1996 VW's in SSC ( and SSB for that matter ) but told me "unoffically" that it should not effect years for IT and that up to and including 97 should be in IT.

As for VW in SSC, I ran one about 3 years ago ( 96 GTI ) and it was really bad ! Too slow, nasty stock shocks/springs ( needed a trunk kit ), bad gear ratios, and too much weight, although I had a good upright veiw of the Civic's as they blasted by !! I have ran the last two years in SSC with a ACR Neon ( 01 ) and often 4-6 seconds a lap faster than the GTI

[This message has been edited by Fastfred92 (edited September 04, 2003).]

VTS docs are located here:
    MS Word:
    http://bildon.com/info/SCCAVehTechSheets.doc
    PDF:
    http://bildon.com/info/SCCAVehTechSheets.pdf

Attached are the Vehicle Technical Specification (VTS) sheets.

Complete and return them to the Club Racing
    Technical Department along with a letter explaining your request to the Competition
    Board.
    Individual Competitors:
    You will also need to include copies of the manual pages, for OEM spec verification,
    that contain the following specs:
    Valve Sizes, Valve Lift, Wheel Size, Bore, Stroke, Displacement, Brake
    Rotor Dia., Brake Rotor/Drum Width, Tire Size, Gear Ratios, Wheelbase,
    Track, Curb Weight, and Final Drive Ratio.

Once we receive the information from you we will give your request a tracking number,
    put it on the Competition Board Agenda, and send copies out to the appropriate
    advisory committee and all of the Competition Board members.

[email protected]

Okay, I'll bite...

I'm now officially looking for a '96 or newer Sport or GTI, in condition appropriate for Showroom Stock preparation.

Want to offload some stock, Jerry?

K

BTW.. The Golf Sport was only offered from late 94 thru 95 ( I think only as a 95 model ). From 96 the Sport became the GTI ( 4 cylinder ) with the only real change being the addition of ABS, OBD II and central locking. All of the Sport's and GTI's had glass tilt slide sunroof as standard equipment. I think the car to have for a starting point would be a 94 GL 2 door, it could be found without sunroof, airbags or ABS. Do a Autotrader search, always seems to be a few out there....

Actually, I don't think that's correct. Non-sunroof Golf III 2-dr 4-cyls were rare, especially in '96-'97, but seem to have always been available in each model year from 94 to 99.5. My problem is that I keep finding automatics... why-o-why... I know it's doable, but I still have a kink in my neck from the last pedal cluster I had to change.

BTW, 93-96.5 were OBDI, and 96.5-99.5 were OBDII. I don't know which engine management will turn out to be better, but I wouldn't mind doing some fiddling if someone can give me a lead on mapping and/or source code. (Now, where did I put that EPROM burner...)

Gotta line on a '96 GTI in NoVA - this might be the one. As much as I don't like sunroofs, the plan is to use it as an SS car for the first year, for schools and learning how to drive again.

BTW, for those of you who haven't dealt with him before, Matthew Yip rocks.

K