Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Golf III ITB

Ah ha ! the 200th post in this thread! I just got back from seeing my car at the fabricator. Cage is cimong along nicely, albeit a little later than I'd prefer. I'm going to be busy this weekend getting ready for MARRS Labor Day. Should be fun! The acr will probably arrive at the track with the A/C intact.... hope it's a hot one! JOE

K-

The car in the NE is Tim Mullen's. The car is was built and is being preped by Shine Racing Services. Car looks very nice but they still have sorting to do from my understanding he still hasn't beaten his best times from the rabbit. He would know best though, and I am sure he will post. he lurks around here every now and then!!! Speak up Tim, show your face . he he

I can't wait till he gets the car all sorted out. He is fast and a good driver. Certainly will make things even more interesting than they already are at the front. Last race at Lime Rock had the top 10 cars were within 1 second of each other (lap times) and almoast all the cars were different makes/models!!! Can't wait to see another one in the hunt!!!

Raymond

I thought Dave Zaslow was building one too. Dave???

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

My progress is glacially slow, but it is getting there.

The car is stripped and gutted, the floor rot is repaired, the bottom end is together, the trans is almost finished, the head is disassembled, The cage tubing is laying on the fabricator's floor, all major parts are in hand or on their way, etc., etc. I hope to have it out in the fall.

Meanwhile Joel High and I have moved my smashed Rabbit's engine and trans to his shell and have run a few events. We will be at the NARRC-offs with Joel driving.

Dave Z

I get to pick up my car tonight! Let the spending begin! Should be a lot of fun over the next few days as I scramble to get this thing ready for Summit Point. Any tips for someone who's never had to have a logbook started? My first car was a seasoned veteran before I bought it. Joe

Borrow the right damned special tool to pull the steering wheel adapter when you do the steering lock removal.

K

Hey, also - I'm on a lightening binge and am looking at the stock airbox. Anyone given any thought to the aftermarket air intake options?

K

Kirk: Whatever you do, don't let any heated air in or your lbs/hp will go the wrong way. For example, one of my GTI VR6s got noticebly slower with a simple cone filter (although it sounded faster and certainly weighed less). I've seen some pretty good plans on Vortex for heat shields, though.

Kirk, Thanks to your email I already solved the steering wheel issue. Working at a dealership has advantages in the tool procurement department. I used the uick realease from OG racing... fits right on without having to use the adapter for the wheel. Very nice. The only ting is the steering shaft nut was a little big to clear the snap ring so I buzzed it down a little. Works great and wasn't that expensive. Now the task of refitting the dash! I also have to paint the cage. This is all between today and tomorrow. BY the end of the weekend I'll do brakes, fluids, ABS sensor removal, hopefully AC, and mount the rearview mirror. Big plans....... little time! JOE

Well, the coilovers are in, the ABS disconnected, fire bottle in, seat mounted, mirror mounted, victoracers are on, headlights taped, the dash is in but not secure. Tonight I should start wiring up the kill switch and transponder. Tomorrow.... cage padding, fluid flush, rear sway bar, passenger door panel, and finish up the kill switch. The car looks good! I'm excited about this weekend. I'm going to do the Friday test day to put some laps on the car to help sort it out. JOE

Now that I know how to post pictures...
    Chris's tired old car...

Chris's shiny new car...

I built the cage

------------------
    Nico
    KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by theenico (edited August 30, 2004).]

Well the A3 has hit the track! I completed the last minute effort to get my GTI out on the track with help of swome really great friends.. Joe Fritz helped me put the clutch in the car. Steve Snow wired the transponder and kill switch. Gerry Walsh applied the graphics. Sean Christie and girlfriend Maureen scavenged roll bar padding and helped get a last minute fabrication effort together to get the window net in place for the logbook / annual tech. My good friends at OG Racing, Dave and Terri Parker, Matthew Yip, and Tom all helped out with tech support and at the track advice, what a group! Just a reminder to support those who support the sport! The tech crew at Summit were especially helpful as always. I had a great time out on the track but having the help of everyone ther to get me out there was an even bigger high. Thanks again... you guys made my weekend, if not my year!
    On the track.. I was rusty, to say the least. I was really looking to learn about the car and to get the two races done for this year to preserve my license. I'll really need to get the Hawk blues to fit on the car as I wore through the street pads on Monday's race. I had a near spin at turn one when I tried to brake a little deep! There were reports from turn five on full metal to metal braking with glowing rotors and sparks! I toned it down for the last few laps to preserve the finish. The car weighed in at 2616 with driver. I think that I can find some of the 266 pounds that thecar needs to lose. The AC is still in the car, the spare tire, and the Remus exhaust, as well as the all kinds of removeable bits. I think that I can easily remove about 150 pounds from the car without too much difficulty. I hope to post pics this week. Joe

Joe's in the club!

K

Tim Mullen got his car running very quick this past weekend in the Northeast... Anyone building one might want to give him a call if you are having any troubles...

Good job Tim!!! Glad to see you in the mirrors :-P JK!!!

Raymond

Raymond - Yup, FINALLY starting to get this new little beast sorted out. After the last outing at NHIS, and what I thought was a fuel system problem from the symptoms, turns out it was a distributor gone "bad" - as bizarre and rare as that is! FINALLY got the car to turn rather than plow, that is, until I made the rather ridiculous decision to try and stretch a set of "already stretched" tires, just one more race. Turn 3 became a disaster, finally off-roading at the exit of 3 - Ray - you know that drill, yes?

Anyway, one more race left and probably just as well. This "sorting out" or "development" stuff can get pretty damned frustrating. There were many times this season when I wished for my 83 Rabbit. At least after a couple of seasons with that car I knew how to get through a corner - this was a whole new learning experience.

Now if I can just go on a 127 pound diet between now and Lime Rock in 3 weeks, I should be all set!!

Tim M

What FD ratio are you running, Tim? I ran a local club driver school this past weekend on the new VIR Patriot Course. It has an awful curving uphill section and I was REALLY wishing I had that spare 'box rebuilt and ready to go.

K

Originally posted by TimM ITB:
    it was a distributor gone "bad" - as bizarre and rare as that is! Tim M

Not as bizarre or rare as you might think. One of the cars we bought had a problem, and that was the last thing Chris changed.

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Finally bought a non-sunroof 2-dr. Interestingly, it seems to be a "1995 GL". Built in 6/94 as a 95 model year (VIN and Title), with few options, steel wheels, base-model seats, etc. So, this means that both GL and Sport versions of the 2-Dr were sold as 95s.

Cut cage out of 95 Jetta, so we've got a headstart on that. Hopefully running one tired old Scirocco at The Glen (Fun One Double) this weekend to keep my license (unless anyone near there offers a VW rental).

Cheers,
    Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited September 14, 2004).]

The NE seems have seen more market penetration when those cars were new. I have yet to see any of these variants in the SE.

K

Hi Guys,
    We at Vantage have a 95 GTi with S/R and air that will be racerfied this winter.
    All depends how the old one runs at Atlanta.
    Derek