Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf III ITB

>> My only concern - is that the seatbelt tensioners on a Golf IV set the insulation alight in a IIHS offset crash test a couple years ago...

German Engineering! It's an incentive to get out of the car!

Yah I know I'm hopeless...

The pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners on the A4 body Golf/Jetta platform only affected the early production cars. Production procedures were changed early on in the new model build out and cars that were at the port or on dealership lots were corrected by removing B pillar insulation that was surrounding the pretensioners. This remedied the problem without too much fanfare, except for a delay at the port for the early release cars. Still looking for a Golf Sport to replace my A2. I don't get it, these cars were all over the place a few years ago. Now I can't find one to same my life. I must admit, I'd like to find a white car, but would settle for something clean. I keep coming across cars that are either automatic or modded out way too fast and furious to be taken seriously. Yeah sure ALL race cars have neon! It's been so cold lately that I haven't even started to work on the car for the spring. The VR6 change was pretty tempting. Just the A3 2.0 is economically easier for the wallet. JOE

"EDIT - My question is when are we going to get to see progress on the REAL IT MkIIIs that should be getting built out there?"

Here are a few pictures of Freddy's (fastfred92),and currently my 1996 GTI. His name is Fritz, lol, don't ask! I will be doing the double school in Feb. with the car. This picture is old, before new updated stickers and before we got reclassified! I know I'll get a call after gloating about this! Thanks for the good info guys and a special thanks to Freddy for all the help, I cannot say enough about him as a fellow racer and friend!

------------------
    Jason

Which school - Roebling? I'll be there so if you will too, this will probably be the largest number of MkIII Golfs on one track in the US, since the car was introduced...

K

Makes me miss my old car even more now that it will be wearing "ITB"....... Kirk and Jason can run their school race head to head! Someone should get some pics of the MkIII battle!!!

Oh, I will be thrilled if this rusty old guy can convince Pablo Schumacher, the wobbly Germano-Mexican understeer machine, to stay anywhere near his ITB bretheren...

What's Fritz's VIN? Pablo's is -040044. They may know each other from the assembly line.

K

Wow, BSI built? I can't imagine what the interior looks like. They never cease to amaze me...

PJ

------------------
    83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

This weekend I finished removing the sound deadner from the interior (2 door). With the sand bag ice cube trays it amounts to just under 10 lbs.

Cold and achy,

Dave Zaslow

Fun fact - Jason's ex-Fastfred ITB car (Fritz) and my SSC car (Pablo) are only 22 VIN numbers apart. They had a fine reunion at the Roebling school.

Pablo had Fritz covered in the wet but got schooled when it dried out...

I enjoyed meeting Jason and everyone else and I REALLY appreciate his and his dad's help hauling my gear home. Thanks, guys.

K

PS word from the BSI gurus is that they are currently building three MkIIIs.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited February 16, 2004).]

Pablo must be part fish somewhere cause he LOVES the rain! 10th overall in our group of 49 cars in the rain! This was a group full of spec Miata's! Fritz had to come back and represent in the dry!
    No problem on the gear, just let me know when ya want to come get them. You can private me at [email protected] We had a great time and look forward to racing with you guys soon!

------------------
    Jason

Technical note: I crossed the Roebling scales at 2786# with 3/4 tank of fuel and about 180# pounds of driver.

I'd be interested to know what Jason's Fritz came in at...

K

Ugh, I hope that's a typo... 400 lbs overweight??? It is a 4-cyl, right?

Remember that I'm still in SSC land (yeah, it's a four). I'm actually ONLY about 100# over my minimum...

It MIGHT get there if it were truly built to the limit of the SS rules - gutted door w/NASCAR bars, minimal other diagonal bracing, no sunroof, AC delete, explosive harness tensioners removed, and a couple other more minor things.

K

Kirk,
    You sure you didn't get the Golf 'Panzer' model? 400 lbs!

- Bill

Mine is actually a low-content model - no electric windows...

I can now confirm that the AC delete pared that overage by almost exactly 30 pounds, not including the stuff in the dash that is staying for the time being.

Email me if you want the P/Ns of the pulley and belts necessary to make that stuff go away. It makes for a very tidy installation.

Kirk

Here you go...

Water pump pulley - 028 121 031 K
    Serp Belt - 028 903 137 BB
    V-Belt - 037 145 271 E

Have fun!

K

Never mind...

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited March 18, 2004).]

Must...stop...posting...

Nobody...else...reading...

No, still here...