Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for axles

Default Looking for axles

I am in search for front axles. I have been looking for the complete LOBRO axle kits that have all new parts. I have exhausted all my contacts, with out going to VW, to the tune of $500.00 each. If anybody has a source please let me know. As I said I am looking for new axles not reman units that have been to who knows where to be "rebuilt". I will shorten them as required.

A2 Golf 16V
    100MM joints.

I got "real" CV joints from BSI and rebuilt my existing axles - less than $300. The most important trick is to not follow the directions that tell you to use the new spring washer.

K

The joints are not the problem, it is finding the axles that are the issue. You can't get just axles from VW. You need to buy a axle set. The "rebuilt" axles from world pac or IMC are not in the best of shape. I am not going to trust that spending $49.95 on a "rebuilt axle" will get me through turn one of the first race of the season. I can get LOBRO joints all day long but LOBRO use to sell a complete axle set. They are not offering it anymore for the A2.

Jon

1st

[This message has been edited by Marzracing (edited January 09, 2005).]

I work pretty closely with IMC and they do not have a listing for the NEW LOBRO axle sets. Are you telling me that this is what you can get for a A2 Golf? Or are they the rebuilt Chrown axles?

Originally posted by VW16VRacer:
    I am in search for front axles. I have been looking for the complete LOBRO axle kits that have all new parts. I have exhausted all my contacts, with out going to VW, to the tune of $500.00 each. If anybody has a source please let me know. As I said I am looking for new axles not reman units that have been to who knows where to be "rebuilt". I will shorten them as required.

A2 Golf 16V
    100MM joints.
    I guess I missed that part of the ITCS that permits shortening axles and driveshafts.

MC

------------------
    Mark Coffin
    #14 GP BSI Racing/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme/Tristram's Garage VW Scirocco
    http://pages.prodigy.net/Scirocco14gp

What does shortening the axle do?

Spike, when you run LOTS of negative camber, the angle of the hub makes the distance smaller, so the "standard" axles are a bit too "long" hence the shortned ones.

There normally is enough play in both of the CV joints, but if you've been breaking them, then go with the shorter units.

We don't have a problem them in Production, since you don't run as much negative camber with slicks.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

VW16Vracer-

Who are you, what class do you run, and what region are you in?

How many other VW drivers are shortning their axles?

How do you go about shortening them?

How do you justify its legality?

Raymond

2nd

[This message has been edited by Marzracing (edited January 09, 2005).]

Originally posted by Marzracing:
    ...in the GT4 class, just look at the engine size for VW and the car, Humm? VW never made that combo!
    If you are expecting the GT engine/chassis classifications to reflect reality, you are racing in the wrong category. In GT2-4, it is geneally the engine that receives the competition adjustments, not the chassis. The body is just a package to enclose the chassis. In order to keep people who have done a lot of engine development on older engines racing in GT, you see a lot of older engines classified with newer chassis (bodies). It keeps the manufacturers happy, too, because they can see late-model cars on the track.

That's why you see late-model Nissan Sentras with L16 engines and late-model Toyota Paseos and Corollas with 2TC engines. These combinations never happened in reality. Heck, look at the Mazda MX-3 in GT5. That car never came with an engine that small.

But, to get back to the topic at hand, I, too, would like to know where in the IT rules it says you can shorten drive axles.

Bob...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...would like to know where in the IT rules it says you can shorten drive axles.</font>
    Bottom line: it doesn't, thus to do so would be outright cheating.

EDIT - original silliness deleted, complaints deleted as well.

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited January 10, 2005).]

Jon,

Is the issue the inner end of the driveshaft knocking through the trans seal?

Dave Z

The way it's been explained to me, people blame plunge overtravel for binding up the CV joints themselves.

K

It's most assuredly a concern; I discovered the problem back in the mid- to late-80s when I built my ITA Rabbit GTi. But, it's a "problem" that cannot be cured legally.

OK, so you have an axle binding problem when you lower the car below a certain level. The legal solution? Simple: don't lower your car that much! My current suspension's roll center drops like a rock under ground level when I lower it too much (starting WELL above the allowed 5 inches) and the car's handling goes funky; can I relocate the pickup points to compensate? Of course not! You have to work withing the design of your car and within the IT rules to find the best compromise.

To do anything else is CHEATING.

If you shorten your axles YOU ARE A CHEATER.

Capiche?

Stop being so up tight. You all have just assumed that he is talking about an IT car. He is not.

SCCA in the NW is on life support. Oregon region is a chin above water and NW Region is bobbing around the eyeballs. The other more friendly, rules decided by the drivers organiztion has classes extremely similar to IT.

He runs in Radial Sedan alongside IT.

So, before you all capitulate and hi-jack this into another 10 page thread, just look at his question and answer it if you can.

Rick

To be fair, Rick - it IS called improvedtouring.com after all.

How's stuff out there? Any interesting plans for the coming season?

K

Hi Kirk.

It just looked like another lemming landrush for the drop off.

Jon's story is just like any 16v Golf that will never be competitve within ITA. He just runs a couple of parallel classes. I know this well and sold mine a couple of years ago and have now been raicng CRX's with an Integra in the future.

With the ITA CRX: This season we will be heading down to a some SF Region events at Laguna, Sears, and Thunderhill. Mix in a little less ICSCC than last year.

I would seriously like to figure out reasonably priced shipping to head to ARRC.

We are also building a SPU CRX designed specifically to run enduros. Plans are to attend the Portland 8 hours and hopefully follow up with the 25 at Thill.

What do you have planned?

Rick--Who is sure Jon will be thrilled with his hijacked thread now. He paddocks with us and for fun we have nicknamed him HondaJon...and we are trying to get NASA to give him honorary H4 designation.

Some tweaks to the Golf - final drive and a real diff (if I can FIND one) - and major tweaks to the driver. I ordered a DL1 data acquisition system so I can do some serious work on my own mad skilz.

We're going to try to get a lottery draw for the 12 hours at Summit Point, do the VIR enduro this fall, assuming it happens, and mix in a few regionals, and two hillclimbs (including the new one in Alabama).

There's noise about a couple of tarmac rallies brewing in the NASA ESRC rallysport series. If they happen, I'd readjust my whole schedule to do them.

K