Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1.6 output

Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    Mark,

I'll just throw this out. Is there any chance that you got an oil pump for a hydraulic lifter motor?

Dick,

While we're on the subject of oil pressure/levels, what are your thoughts on running an Accusump?

Considering no hydraulic head motor has ever even been on the premises, and the oil pumps I have all came out of used 1.6 motors, there's no chance this is a hydraulic head oil pump.

I've always used the (used) 1.6 oil pumps because I read/heard/was told somewhere that they use less horsepower than the high volume/aftermarket oil pumps. Maybe because they're broken in?

Dick mentioned earlier that used cylinder heads were less desirable because once they seats have been cut, the seats are sunk too much. Is it legal to replace the seats with new ones and get the seat height back to the original height? I would think so.

MC

------------------
    Mark Coffin
    #14 GP BSI Racing/Airborn Coatings/The Shop VW
    Scirocco
    Zephyr Race Coaching and Consulting
    http://pages.prodigy.net/Scirocco14gp

Dick,
    Who are you building the G car for, or is it a secret? I was curious if you had any ideas on how to tackle the suspension issue when lowering the car. I know your set-ups always worked but with the ability to relocate suspension points in prod I was wondering if you had any ideas. Its good to see you on the boards.
    Just to say something about Dicks motors. I improved by 3 seconds at NHIS and LRP once I finally bit the bullet and had one built. It was the best money I have ever spent for the ITC car.

I will pose another question, Dick. You are machining the pump and gear set to obtain a given flow rate at a given rpm to sufficiently lube the rotating mass while not consuming excess horsepower. Which is more important in your estimation, oil pressure or flow? Or is it more a question of balance of the two. While you're entertaining my lack of knowledge, synthetic or refined crude? How tight can the 1.6L be twisted? I ran a late season session at Putnam Park last year and the motor was pulling over 7200 rpm. How good is the Tech Tronic header? Thanks for your time.

Mark, my 1.8l GTI has too little oil pressure at the moment. I suspect that the aluminum shavings from the last head failure got pumped through the oil pump and reduced it's efficiency. I've put some 50wt oil in it and pressure is back up to normal.

I had an excessive oil pressure problem with my German Ford 2.0L with hot oil pressures at 130psi even with a functioning oil pump bypass. I checked the aux bearing, rod bearing, main bearings and finally replaced the hi volume pump with a stock one and put in synthetic 30wt oil. Pressure is still a bit high but runs at 60psi once warm which is where the bypass in the oil pump diverts oil.

What oil thickness are you running? Can we put thinner oil in our VWs?

Mark, was just trying to figure out why the pressure was so high. After spending lots of years in the IT world, I learned not to dismiss any possibility out of hand. I figured you would have made sure it was the right pump, but it didn't hurt to ask.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

The pressure is really what matters! Luckily if you get the pressure right you will be at the right volume. Too large a pump will be high at low RPM and maybe right at redline and too small gives you burned out bearings.The early pumps had the volume almost right but the pressure relief was absurd,the later pumps have the pressure correct mostly but the volume is way too much and it spends its life at the relief point.I have to make them to get what I want.

Dick Shine

not that I care, but where is the rule allowing shortened oilpumps?

[quote]Originally posted by D. Shine:
    [B] I was as surprised as anyone to find the cam results,but because Gs are available new for little money and good originals are hard to find,I use the G. Of course Matt they make more power on Iraqi gas,but you havent sent any!

Dick,
    As soon as your slacker gets more D&D coffee on the way I will send the gas. FYI on my trip this week it’s going for about 4 cents a gallon in Baghdad. So it's worth it to ship.
    Kim said she is paying $2.30 a gallon. I don’t think this gas has the octane to work with Yellow Pig

Matt Bal

In my case, that was caused by a piece of plastic that fell off an electrical connection and landed in the oil opening in the block before the filter housing was installed. Oiled Blackhawk down real good when I reved it before warming it up.