Thread: ...or new OEM replacement mechanicals?

Default ...or new OEM replacement mechanicals?

Anyone have suggestions for sourcing OEM replacement parts for VWs, with good quality-to-price ratios? I need to find a reliable source for rotors, calipers, CV joints, bearings, and the like...

Kirk

rockauto.com is pretty good on price
    well designed website

Kirk,

I get most of my stuff either from Stu at BSI or Mike Potter at www.parts4vws.com

Both are good sources, BSI being better for race-specific stuff. Mike Potter is also a racer. If you talk to him, tell him I sent you.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

I know Tirerack carries OEM direct replcement rotors that are much cheaper than OEM rotors, at least for Hondas. They are made by Brembo and very good quality.

I've also had pretty good luck getting hubs, bearings, tie rods, gaskets from
    http://www.expressautoparts.com

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited September 25, 2003).]

CPI (Car Parts International) in Hartford, CT. VW parts wholesalers. Offer most parts in several brands (some german, some not). I assume they'll do mail-order, although I haven't asked. They have a few other warehouses in New England. 860-549-5600 for CT.

Guys, stay away from Expressautoparts.com

I used to buy from them, and they would routinely bill me for parts that never shipped. The invoice would come and the part would say B/O or no longer available since I was buying parts for a 1971 car. I'd call or email and they'd refund the overcharge. Most recently, they no longer have their phone number on their website, nor do they respond to their emails. I sent at least 10 emails requesting a refund, no reponse.

I've been using www.partsamerica.com now, similar prices and you can even pick up some of the parts at Kragan's at internet prices.

I just checked Expressautoparts.com site now and they now have a 877 number to order. I'm going to call them and request my refund again. Dam, they piss me off.

Thanks guys, for reminding me of this miserable company.

#37 ITB

[This message has been edited by Joe Craven (edited September 26, 2003).]

Expressautoparts phone lines ring with no answer. I'll have to call them back in the morning. They owe me $28. Does anybody know what law they've broken and where I can file a complaint. This is the 3rd time they've overbilled me. The 1st 2 were credited. Yes, I was stupid for allowing a 3rd.

Greg, those Brembo's work good for my daily driver A3, but not good on the A2 with Hawk Blues, chewed through them faster than the pad.

We use Stu for all our stock parts. Prices are right and he has advice that the local parts guy doesn't.

We keep a spare set of cheap rotors and lifetime half shafts on stock from the local place to make it through the weekend if necessary.

Travis,

Wow! That's interesting. I found the opposite. My Brembos with Blues lasted much longer than Honda rotors with Blues. Blues are aggressive no mater what, but I can live with $25/rotor. Possibly a difference between that good solid German engineering on your Golf vs my cheap Jap crap

I also always go to Stu at BSI for all my OEM VW stuff like hubs, brake parts, rotors, engine parts & gaskets, etc., and especially now that I'm racing the GP car. The stresses and strains it puts on the parts is even higher than the IT car, and it's peace of mind to know that I'm getting the best quality OEM stuff, not junk.

MC
    #14 GP VW Scirocco

Kirk--Always scope out eBay. Bid on anything --even semi useful for the car if NOS NIB!

Greg,

We were also amazed at the difference in the two rotors. With the ATE OEM both rotor and pads are junk at the same time. Sometimes the rotor beats the pad but you never really hit minimum thickness.

Also, they are the same price for us so it becomes a no-brainer. ($50/set)

I've used vwparts.com and thepartsbin.com for OEM parts, and I always get the good stuff, vwparts in is Maryland and ships pretty quick.

PJ

------------------
    83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Kirk,

What are you Racing next year?

Gary

[This message has been edited by Corradoracer (edited October 01, 2003).]

Kirk and Bill, check out my site www.247-parts.com Great prices on Vw parts. Best price on redline oil and ATE racing blue brake fluid.

------------------
    Gary Semerdjian
    #98 Corrado ITS

A '96 GTI in SSC, destined for ITB in two years. http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti

K