Thread: Where did 4th gear go?

Default Where did 4th gear go?

I've got every gear but 4th.'83 GTI box w/Quaife.It's not the linkage because I disconnected it and tried shifting by hand right on the box. Could a linkage problem last year have caused me to bend a shift fork? Gonna send it to be re-built anyway but am curious.

Dean,

What does it do when you shift it between 3rd and 4th? Does it 'feel' normal, like it's engaging 4th? Or, can you not even shift to 4th?

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

How much metal was in the oil when you drained it? If it "feels" like it engages then most likely the dog is engaging but there are not teeth left to transmit torque through.

If the fork is bent and it is not engaging the dog you should be able to fell that. Grab the selector at the transmission and skip using the shifter in the car so you can tell.

When I shift by grabbing the lever on the trans it feels like it wants to go into gear but doesn't go. Like something isn't lined up.

Dean, can you jack the front end of the car up (on jack stands) and rotate the wheel back and forth while you're trying to get it in 4th?

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

Just take it out of the car, and take it apart. That's what all of you want to do anyway. I'm sure Chris isn't the only one who grew up taking things apart to figure out how they work (or not).

Lesley

Chris hates it when I bring him a box of loose parts after I take things apart!

Bill

Some of the earlier gearboxes had externally adjustable detents. I know for a fact that these detents can keep you from shifting into 5th if incorrectly adjusted, and 4th might also be possible. The externally adjustable detents usually have plastic covers and are located directly on top of the box (over the shiter rail). I can't explain why, but occasionally these go out of adjustment all by themselves. Later boxes just had fixed length bolts that are not really adjustable. Check the Bentley (-'84) for more details. It's probably worth a try before pulling the box.

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited March 28, 2003).]

typo corrected above...

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited March 28, 2003).]

Even with the box on the bench I can't get 4th. It doesn't have the adjustable detent. It will soon be on it's way to a complete re-build. Thanks everybody!