Thread: Oil Filter Problem

Default Oil Filter Problem

I've got an oil leak between the oil filter and sandwich plate for the cooler. When I bought the car it had the standard (Fram 2870) size filter on it. Previous owner (times 2) and builder of the car could not remember what size he used, but said it was a "double o-ring" type filter. Anyone recommend any type of filter, or know of a filter with 2 o-rings? P.S. it would have to have the same thread size as a Fram 2870, which fits fine on the plate, just leaks!

Is the leak between the filter and the sandwich plate, or the sandwidch plate and the block?

I would remove the sandwich plate, remove the oil lines from it, and go down to a race shop and replace that o-ring. I would also make sure that the mating surface on the sandwich plate is flat.

These sandwich plates are cheap to replace.

Once you have it all dis-assembled, you can check the threading of the oil filter onto the sandwich plate, and check the diamater of the plate, and then match the appropriate oil filter diameter to it.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 LP GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

I run Mann filters with my oil cooler and don't have any leaks. After pinching an oring when installing the sandwich plate, I had to order some new orings so I got a bunch of them in case I do it again! I would get some new orings and double-check the installation and replace the orings.

Make sure to put a little oil on the oring before tightening the filter, and use your hands to tighten it only, don't overtorque it.

PJ

------------------
    83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB