Thread: A2 GTi construction costs

Default A2 GTi construction costs

Hey everyone. Ive heard that the A2 GTi can be one of the most relatively inexpensive compeditive racers out there. Im curious as to what everyone else's experiences are with these vehicles. Im narrowing down my choices as I get closer to moving into my new place (with HUGE garage) so I need info! I know these cars are fast in ITB, but Im gonna be running on a bit of a budget. Does this sound like a good plan, or am I better off looking at a different platform? Thanks for all your help everyone!

Jive

Jive,

I don't know if it's really any cheaper to build an A2 GTI for ITB, or any of the other top platforms. A lot of it comes down to how much work you do yourself and how much of an inventory of parts you already have. Given the recent turn of events w/ the A3, I'd have to seriously look at that as possibly being the car to have in ITB.

The good thing about the A2 is that you can use any year Golf tub from '85-'92. That gives you a large pool of cars to choose from. And, 2dr GL 5-spds are pretty inexpensive starting points.

The rest of the stuff is pretty much marque/model independent. A good, custom cage will be ~$2000. Figure about $1500 or so for a non-adjustable coilover setup w/ camber plates. $2000 - $2500 or so for an 'IT motor'. $1500 - $2000 for a fresh tranny w/ a Quaife. And so on.

I figure that my car would cost $10k - $12k to build from scratch.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

If you want to keep construction costs lower, make absolutely sure you buy a GOLF without A/C, power steering and a sunroof. This may seem like a no-brainer, but this no-brainer has found this out the hard way!!!

And skip the motor rebuild to begin with, until you get the rest of the car set up. As long as the motor runs pretty strong as it is, and has decent leak down results, do it last. That is almost always Chris' suggestion if you are getting a new car going on a budget.

When we built the 'real' GP car, we ran a POS street car motor in it at it's first weekend. Of course, Chris drove the c*** out of it, but most people didn't even notice that it wasn't a built motor, just assumed it was still the IT motor. Pretty funny.

Lesley Albin
    Blazen Golden Retrievers
    Over The Limit Racing

I am about $3500 in to mine, but working the budget angle pretty hard. It has taken a few years as a result, but I really wante to build rather than buy - despite all good advice otherwise.

I second the motor comment. Hell I am running a stock trans for my first event or two before welding up the diff during a rebuild. I figure that my car will get a lot faster by me getting track time than by me putting the best components on from the get-go.

If all goes well the car will finally be racing at the Driver's School at Gateway next month.

Chris

Buy my A1 Rabbit, you can race it tomorrow. http://www.gelling.com/rabbit/rabbit2.jpg
    call me for details 203 253 2249

If you want a Golf GTI to race for a good price call David Bolles at 321-254-1344 he has one of the best 16v ITA GTI in the country and he wants $6500 for it and I am sure that price is negotiable.

Louis.

[This message has been edited by LTBMotorsports (edited March 02, 2003).]