Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which chassis for IT ?

Oops, that was either the 1.6 or the 1.8.

Tim

I have a friend that as a lot of experience in this V.W. discussion. His name is Frank Cervetto, and races a V.W. in Cal Club division of SCCA. He goes faster in a VW Rabbit, than any one I know. He is the tit's V.W. guy, whether it's a rabbit or scirocco, ITB or ITC, he know's how to make them handle and go!!!! 661-255-5281. Call him. you won't be sorry

Ok, to throw a little wrench in this topic, what about the ITA versions of the Scirocco and GTi??? Anyone have an opinion as to which is better and why????

Oh, hey Joe Craven, does your friend still have that Pinto for sale???

Jive

The 16v Scirocco body is more aerodynamic, but it weighs 100 lbs more than the 16v GTI. Everything else is the same.

I think that it's a matter of what's out there, since I've seen both in ITA.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Scirocco 16V also gets bigger front brakes (10.1" vs. 9.4"), which is convenient for hauling down the mandated ballast... Scirocco 16V is still an A1, Golf 16V is an A2.

Is there a significant difference between the performance capabilities of the A1 chassis vs. the A2?? There is a GTi that runs ITA down here in So Pac (I think its Raffi's) that is pretty quick. Im wondering if the Scirocco would be able to keep up. If the A2 chassis is the second generation, I also wondering if its a significant improvement over the A1.

Jive

Jive, there is lots of opinions as to which car is better. The A1 1.6 Scirocco ITC car is probably the best of the bunch, but A1 Scirocco chassis's are getting pretty hard to come by. The A2's have rear disk brakes, and better suspension geometry, but they are heavier.

I already had an A1 Rabbit the choice was pretty easy, but I started racing an A1 Scirocco in 93-94 and didn't convert the Rabbit until 1992, after it had almost 350k miles on it. Not all on the same motor/trans, but still has the original paint, and fenders.

Hope that this helps.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 LP GP Wabbit
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Now there's a new choice: 16V GLI A2

I called Topeka about getting my '87 GLI 16V classified in IYA. I was told the Comp Board had discussed and OK'd it Jan 9.

Originally posted by Rex B:
    Now there's a new choice: 16V GLI A2

I called Topeka about getting my '87 GLI 16V classified in IYA. I was told the Comp Board had discussed and OK'd it Jan 9.
    Yeah, but they botched the specs. See my comments in the 944S thread.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

It cost the same to build a ITC car as a ITB car or almost ITA VW. The for sale price is not near as much for ITC as ITB. Go as fast as you can forthe cash . it is a ton cheaper to buy than build. The A2 Golf/Jetta is the way to go , there are always plenty to race with and they are solid chassis. i have a S1 Scorocco that flies for cheap, check the adds.
    The 16v will cost a ton to go midpack .03MM

I have a 84 Scirocco, ITB, 2002 tech that I could let go cheap! [email protected] if interested! It has (1)set 14 and (3) sets 13 inch wheels.