Thread: spring rates

Default spring rates

What spring rates are being used on Rabbits out there? We got our car used and don't know what rate springs we have but I assume they are soft because we get a ton of body roll in the turns. We run no front bar and a big rear one with Koni struts and shocks. The car handles well and we get good tire wear. any suggestions?

The local wabbit in our area runs #500 front and #350 rear. HTH

Steve

I use 500 front and 300 rear. Bilstein sports all the way around, with Ground Control Camber plates in the front, and the BSI shims in the rear.

With slicks, 1 degree negative camber up front, and .5 degree negative in the rear.

0 toe up front and 1/8 toe in out back.

Locked diff as well.

------------------
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002
    http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

Depending on who you talked to the rates are all over the place. In my ITC Scirocco I am running 650# in the front and 350# in the rear, though i could probably go to a 450 in the rear. The car has always handled great, but I have heard of others who go the complete opposite, with softer springs in the front and stiffer in the rear. It all depends on what you are runnign for bars, I was running two of Shine's Tubular bars. Hope this helps

------------------
    Sam Rolfe
    TBR Motorsports
    #85 ITC VW Rabbit
    #85 GP Scirocco on the way
    #11 GP Scirocco on the way

I ran 650#F/375#R, but will be upping the rears to 450#. No front bar, and 2 rear bars, Billstein race struts.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

Spiro13 Guest

For you racers running high front spring rates - 500 to 650. Are you running LSDs or locked diffs? I read that if you run an open diff the spring rates should be softer to increase grip. Any thaughts on this?

------------------
    Tony
    ITC #0

Just to be different: I ran 325# all around with a 1" rear OPM rear bar on my ITC Scirocco. Always with a limited slip. I tried the stiffer front setup, but it made the car push too much and I couldn't dial it out with shocks. I did have double adjustable konis on the front, single adjustable konis on the rear.

On the GP car, I started out with 325# front and #400 rear, NO BAR on the rear. The balance was good, but not stiff enough. I'm experimenting now with raising them proportionally front/rear. Remember though, this is with slicks which have more grip. s

YMMV,

MC

I started w/ an open diff, went to a Quaife, and will probably go w/ a spool for next year.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

I run a Quaife plus two of our drivers are over 200 lbs.

Dont know if this will help but for what it is worth, I run 450fr/350r, am looking to go stiffer(400#) to the rear. Balance isn't quite right. With the corner weights right on, car sits a bit higher in the rear than I prefer, tends to get squirly when I'm being drafted close at high speed. other than that it handles like a dream. Stock diff/gears (open), lots of camber up front (with no tire wear problems and degree 1/2 in the rear.