Thread: Golf spring rates

Default Golf spring rates

Anybody have any input on a streetable setup for a '90 2 door gold that will see frequent autoX, lapping days, and solo I's.

Here's what I was thinking:
    - 8" coil-overs, 400F/275B. I have the 275s already so I'm trying to getting something appropriate for the front. Is this too soft, will it bottom out when lowered?
    - Big rear bar, no front bar.
    - Bilsitens or KYB AGX shocks.

How low should I go, I know I have read that you should no go so low that the control arm is not level. I'm relativley new to VWs though so I'm not sure.

I figure if I want to make it an ITB car I can pick up a set of 500-600 springs, swap things around and be all set.

400# will work OK with Bilsteins on the street. Lower tillthe A arms are flat or justa bove. Watch the body near the axles on the pass side for rub, then lift it up a bit.MM

Thanks.
    So no fear of bottoming out with those rates?

Should I leave the front stock bar on?
    Is added a second stock rear bar a good comprimise for now to save a few bucks?

You say Bilsteins will be "OK" for the street, are you implying that they will not hold up to track use or will need to be replaced if I up the spring rates by 200 all around later on? I'd rather not buy shocks twice, they were the most expensive part of my suspension on my last IT car.

Corey, what are you doing?????? Are you moving over to the dark side?? VW?????
    What about the 240??? If you have to make the switch, think Honda.....think Honda......think Honda.......

Is Steve influencing you?

Bruce, you say that almost in a bad way

I think after Corey drove my car at the solo back in July he caught the VW bug. You know, the torque bug

Steve

And I second that about rub on the passenger axle, just had to deal with that problem. Funny, there was no change in ride height but I did put some offset CA bushings in to give it some more castor.
    ------------------
    87 ITB Scirocco
    www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing

[This message has been edited by Scirocco#28 (edited September 03, 2002).]

Picked up Ken's old car from vantage last night for the cage. Should make a nice safe winter beater right?

I'd loose my shirt if I sold the 240 so I can't see me racing a golf anytime soon. I needed something that could get throught the snow and autox with for now. These things are vertually free compared to 240s. I could buy 6 rust free ones for what I sold my crusty 240 for.

Anyways, how 'bout those suspension tips!

I need to know too. I had to hook Kens old car to a tree and hammer the gas to get it off the trailer. I am kind of psyched about the cage. Just need some tips and help , Steve????

Originally posted by racer-025:
    [B]Corey, what are you doing?????? Are you moving over to the dark side?? VW?????B]
    Originally posted by Scirocco#28:
    I think after Corey drove my car at the solo back in July he caught the VW bug. You know, the torque bug
    MUHAHAHAHAHA!!

yeah, torque will do that to a guy.

PJ

------------------
    83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB