Hey Kirk and Bill:
These discussions are always fun, and also generally pointless. But anyway, I'm just suggesting that the update/backdate rule be generalized somewhat in situations where it makes sense and there is no particular competitive advantage. Or perhaps combine some models on the same line in the ITCS but specify the relevant things, like allow the '81 scricco tub with the 1.6 motor. How is that in principle different from allowing a '69 Volvo 142S that came with the B20B motor, carbs and 9:1 compression to use a '71 B20E motor that used fuel injection and had 10.5:1 compression? In both cases the car is running with a different motor than it had when it came off the showroom floor, but the idea is that since tubs are substantially the same it is essentially the same car.

I know the words "substantially" and "essentially" are imprecise, but the intent is clear. I believe the important thing is to adhere to the "spirit" of the rules: don't do things to your car that give you a competitive advantage in your class if it is not explicitly allowed. On the other hand, as in the scricco case above I personally have no problem with it for the car to run in ITC, and I would welcome the guy to race with me and comgratulate him if he beat me. C'mon, we're out here for fun, right?