Thread: A1....front sway bar

Default A1....front sway bar

I have been running without a front bar and a stock 16 valve rear bar with a BSI bar in the rear.

Someone said that they run a front bar and that it broght the car closer to an oversteering condition.

Opinions?

Seems to me, it's quite the opposite.
    Any time I've run a front sway bar, it's put the car in a UNDERSTEER position.
    I'm sure the rest of the guys would agree with me.

If that's the case, you could get the same effect by taking off either the 16v or the BSI rear bar. I run no front bar and 2 rear bars on my car, and the only time it oversteers is when the track is cold, the tires are cold, or the track is wet (then I take one of the bars off). I only know one guy that races an ITC Rabbit w/ a front bar. He also runs fairly soft springs in the front.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

The objective with spring rates and anti-roll bars is to get the handling of the car as neutral as possible. Different combinations of spring rates and bars will create a different roll stiffness at each end of the car, consequently affecting the roll couple distribution of the car and creating either a push (understeer) or loose (oversteer) condition.

If the front lower control arms are inclined too much, then the front roll center goes below ground level, thus creating a longer lever arm from the center of gravity.

Still playing with spring rates and bars on my HP Wabbit, and learning more every day about suspension handling...a big mountain to climb....Regards, Ryan.

Sway bars? We don't need no stinkin' sway bars.

I don't use them. I like to tune with the springs. I'm not sure why...

I'm sure someone will tell me I can't do it with just springs. Well I know of a certain 3-time national champ in production who doesn't use sway bars either.

What IS important is what Ryan said. The front/rear roll couple distribution needs to fit your driving preference & skills.

Ah, what do I know???

MC
    #14 GP VW Scirocco

It also depends upon what kind of front diff that your running.

I have a locked diff, and I use a stock front bar, and a Nuespeed bar in the rear. 500 Lbs springs up front and 300 lbs springs in the rear.

I don't have an understeering problem, because with the front locker, if your not on the gas, you can't turn.

Tim

Oops, I meant oversteering.

Tim

I thought I was the only guy to use a locker.

It is faster. I also use rear toe out to keep it loose, with a smal rear bar. No front bar. Soft springs(400/300)MM