Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITB Scirrocco 13" wheels

OEM 13x5.5 steel and alloy wheels first came on the 1980 Jetta I. The 13x6 steel wheels were only available in Europe, and I've only seen one set mounted on a US stealthmobile, and never found a single one at the boneyard. They're rarer than hens teeth and not worth looking for, IMHO.

I worked hard to get the 14x6" wheels allowed for the ITB Scirocco II, and think they work better than the 13s at most tracks. I'd say that they're faster at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, although 13s gave me better times at NHIS (probably a gearing issue). The stock 14x6s are also cheap and plentiful.

Eric,

I'm curious as to how you were able to get the 14" wheels allowed on the ITB Mk II Sciroccos. It's my understanding that they all came w/ 13" wheels until the 16v cars came out in '87 (teardrops). I didn't think the 8v cars ever came w/ 14" wheels?

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

[quote] I didn't think the 8v cars ever came w/ 14" wheels?

I don't think the 8v ever came with them; but the ITCS states that the 83-88 8v Scirocco II can run 13" or 14" wheels.

I'm not complaining

Jason
    17 ITB (Scirocco) NER SCCA

Jason,

I know that's what the ITCS says, I'm just wondering how it got in there since I don't think the car ever came w/ 14" wheels. And, don't get the idea that I'm trying to get the 14" wheels pulled from the Scirocco. I'm just looking for more 'inconsistencies' in the ITCS. If the car didn't come w/ 14's and they're allowed, I think you could call that a comp. adjustment [crawls back under rock]

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608

[quote]Originally posted by Bill Miller:
    If the car didn't come w/ 14's and they're allowed, I think you could call that a comp. adjustment [crawls back under rock]

It may very well be a comp adj. That statement may turn this thread into what all the others seem to turn into.

But, this thread has proven that the availability of the 13x6 wheels is very slim (affordable ones anyway).

Eric:
    If you were responsible for the 14" wheels -- Thank-you.

I may keep my set of 13's for NHIS & run 14's everywhere else. I did notice some difference between the school (I ran 13's) and the race (14's); but I am still learning the car, so I will have to spend more time comparing the two.

Jason

Bill,

Some US edition 8V Sciroccos came with 14" wheels. It is documented in some of the 1983-1985 owners manuals (pre-16V) as well as the dealer microfiche. I believe that I found the first reference in the winter driving section of an owners manual, where it warned not to use chains on the stock 14" wheels for the Scirocco! That was just a clue, but the dealer microfiche was conclusive. I usually carry a photocopy of that microfiche with me to the races. This was NOT a competition adjustment, IMHO, but nice try

Eric

Eric,

If the cars came w/ them, I have issue w/ it whatsoever. I'm more of an A1 GTI guy, so my knowledge of the rest of the VW line isn't as complete. I was just not aware of any 8v Sciroccos ever coming w/ 14" wheels. Good for you for finding the documentation to get them added!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
    SCCA 279608